none
Why does installing VS do so much Windows-ecosystem damage? RRS feed

• Question

• Installing VS2008 or 2010 Pro has some seriously bad effects on the hosting machine, most pronouncedly so on Windows 7; startup and shutdown become slower, and the machines generally just "feel" slower.

Issue #1: Slower shutdown & startup.

Easily demonstrable. Build a spanking new Windows 7 box, get it service packed. Reboot a couple of times.

Then reboot about a dozen times to get metrics from startup and shutdown.

Now, install Visual Studio 2010 (Express or Pro), then reboot a couple of times.

Repeat the previous dozen reboots and measure times. I tested on an i7 and a Phenom II x6, both 64-bit with 6Gb of ram. Phenom went from 12 seconds from POST to usable browser to 47 seconds; i7 went from 14 seconds from POST to usable browser to 65.

Issue #2: Install Clutter.

When you install VS a whole slew of dependencies get installed such as SDKs and SQL Writer.

More importantly: uninstalling Visual Studio doesn't appear to install a fraction of this clutter.

Considering the following: This is a box that had VS 2008 installed & SP1ed, in both cases specifying no database support, then it had VS2010 installed & uninstalled... And yet I still find all of this is still alive and kicking on the machine:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (64-bit)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client

Microsoft SQL SErver 2008 R2 Data-Tier Application Framework

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Data-Tier Application Project

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects (x64)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Transact-SQL Language Service

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools English

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 x64 ENU

Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.3

Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.4

Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types

Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types (x64)

Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

(And an amount of this clutter, e.g. VSS Writer, seem to get set to run on startup - that part of trying to make Visual Studio start faster? Because it's still firing up on my test machines even after Uninstalling VS 2010)

Issue #3: General performance

Our developers have - to the last - begun whining about Windows 7 performance after installing VS 2010. My hunch is that this is largely as a result of the slower boot times; if Windows boots fast, Windows feel fast; if Windows boots slow, Windows feels slow.

It is pretty important to us that our developers maintain clean Windows 7 ecosystems on their dev & build boxes, and this pollution - which appears to have ballooned out of control with 2010 vs 2008 vs 2005 - makes that very difficult.

Particularly frustrating for our team, part of a smallish company, is that much of this bloat comes from dependencies that aren't being properly checked. Out side of our workstations, our main product is Visual C++ based, not using CLR or .NET or C# or databases or web functionality. But even when you uncheck installation of those features, all of the dependencies still seem to get installed.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi quietbrit,

Thank you for your feedback.

According to your description, I think your bigest concern about Visual Studio 2010 is the VS 2010 might affect system performance. If I have miss understand anything, please feel free to let me know.

As you might aware, the installation of Visual Studio will install lots of components and services, some of these components/services might require to start together with Windows system, such as SQL Server. And this might cause the Windows system startup slower. You can go to Start menu >> Run >> type msconfig, and check the startup items in Services and Startup tab to see which item has added to the startup list after install Visual Studio.

For the second issue about uninstall Visual Studio, you can download and run the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility. By default, this removes Visual Studio and supporting components, but does not remove components that are shared with other applications on the computer.
    If you manually uninstall Visual Studio 2010 instances via Control Panal -> Uninstall a program, you will need to supporting products then.
    For more information about uninstalling Visual Studio, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx#uninstalling

For the third issue about Windows system performance and Windows system optimization, you can post your question in the Windwos Performance and Maintenance Forum for better support, where you can contact Windows system experts.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi quietbrit,

Thank you for your feedback.

According to your description, I think your bigest concern about Visual Studio 2010 is the VS 2010 might affect system performance. If I have miss understand anything, please feel free to let me know.

As you might aware, the installation of Visual Studio will install lots of components and services, some of these components/services might require to start together with Windows system, such as SQL Server. And this might cause the Windows system startup slower. You can go to Start menu >> Run >> type msconfig, and check the startup items in Services and Startup tab to see which item has added to the startup list after install Visual Studio.

For the second issue about uninstall Visual Studio, you can download and run the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility. By default, this removes Visual Studio and supporting components, but does not remove components that are shared with other applications on the computer.
    If you manually uninstall Visual Studio 2010 instances via Control Panal -> Uninstall a program, you will need to supporting products then.
    For more information about uninstalling Visual Studio, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx#uninstalling

For the third issue about Windows system performance and Windows system optimization, you can post your question in the Windwos Performance and Maintenance Forum for better support, where you can contact Windows system experts.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Andrew,

My first concern is actually that, simply installing Visual Studio 2010 Professional, on a relatively high-end system, causes a measurable and significant performance impact to general operation of the machine.

This includes installing it for relatively simple installation configurations, such as a case where you have tried to specify no interest in database development, which still installs and configures SQL server to run at Windows startup.

However the two concerns are related: because the performance impact remains even after either manually uninstalling visual studio on a component basis, or using the uninstall utility.

That is garnished by the fact that in neither case does the uninstall do the smart thing. Again the worst culprit here is the SQL Server install.

If I have absolutely no need of database development tools or working with Team Server, why does VS2010 need to install VSS Writer or SQL Server? I'd guess because it uses them itself, but that means they don't need to be launched on startup.

But more to the point: they should be uninstalled when the user uninstalls Visual Studio, since it was Visual Studio that required them and absolutely nothing else on the system.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:00 PM