none
Publishing from VB in VS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have used VB in VS2010 to create a project called TEST.
    I am having trouble with publishing it.

I save the project in C:\My Programs\Test.
    I use Build/Publish and the Publishing Wizard to publish the program in C:\My Programs\Test\Publish
    This creates a setup.exe file in that folder.

Now I want to install the program as a standalone on my machine
    I click the setup file to install the progam as a standalone on my hard disk.
    It runs but gives me no choices of what folder to install it in
    It does NOT install Test.exe in C:\Program Files
    In fact I can't even find Test.exe at all.
    However, if I return to C:\My Programs\Test\Publish and double-click setup.exe then it runs the program!

I want third parties to be able to install Test.exe into  C:\Program Files on their machine by downloading the setup.exe program from my website (probably in a zip file) and then double-clicking it. Since it won't work on my machine, then presumably it won't work on theirs either.

I don't think I appreciate the operational logic behind click-once.
    I know I am missing something but can't find out what it is!

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:10 PM

Answers

• Try writing the temporary code:

MsgBox(Application.StartupPath)

... in some place in the code, and publish. When you install and run it, it will tell you where the software was installed.

As to why the setup installs like that, I don't know.

Sincerely yours,
    - bilde2910

If a post is helpful to you or solves a problem, remember to mark it as answer, propose it as answer or vote up.
    Check out my development so far!

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:18 PM

All replies

• Try writing the temporary code:

MsgBox(Application.StartupPath)

... in some place in the code, and publish. When you install and run it, it will tell you where the software was installed.

As to why the setup installs like that, I don't know.

Sincerely yours,
    - bilde2910

If a post is helpful to you or solves a problem, remember to mark it as answer, propose it as answer or vote up.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Using your method I got the following reply in the messagebox.

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\J0ZYYRQW.2EM\WW1TZZMJ.HQZ\crac..tion_6f27d12b166c06cf_0001.0000_8383b2bf706bdbc0

I don't know what that means?!

I have just found that when I follow my above procedure it puts an entry on the Start Menu but does not put an icon on the desktop and it puts the .exe file in

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Test\Test.exe

I don't know where it gets that mouthful from?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Using your method I got the following reply in the messagebox.

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\J0ZYYRQW.2EM\WW1TZZMJ.HQZ\crac..tion_6f27d12b166c06cf_0001.0000_8383b2bf706bdbc0

I don't know what that means?!

That's where the application installs itself. If you go there you'll find your EXE. I don't have any idea why it saves there though, and the path might not be the same for all PC's.

- bilde2910

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:21 PM