none
Cannot Extend Trial period of VS 2010, cannot Uninstall ! RRS feed

• Question

• Update 2: April 11: downloaded the tool "VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe" and ran it: it appeared to go through all the motions of removing VS Studio, but did not actually remove it, and I am still unable to un-install it, or receive an extension for the trial release version. bw

Update 1: April 11: tried to obtain extension code again after first disabling all AV software on this machine (MSSE), and all other optional proceses. Same result as reported below, endless display of "loading.gif" and page content never appears. bw

Win Vista 32, SP 2, all recent patches for the OS up to date. MySQL package installed for VS 2010. All .NET FrameWorks installed, and all patches.'

Logging in to MS goes fine, then I select, "Extend Evaluation," and window appears whose url is :

https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/wizard.aspx?wizid=735C5220-CA3D-4113-BC7A-6D3F3589E02C&lcid=1033

In the center of a large blank area in the screen a circular .gif progress indicator revolves endlessly, but the page is never loaded: I've waited thirty minutes. No error message shown.

~

Trying to Uninstall the current VS 2010 via Control Panel/Programs and Features leads to errors that "Visual Studio cannot be run in Compatibility Mode." This is a non-networked dev machine, run as Admin, and to my knowledge no executable is set to "Compatibiity Mode."

~

Downloading the latest VS 2010 trial installer vs_proweb.exe, and running it results in an error:

"The Windows Installer Package: C\Users\dotScience\AppData\Local\Temp\SIT15974.tmp\vs_setup.ms_Could not be opened. Choose Retry to try again. Choose Cancel for exit setup."

Retrying the the install does not work.

~

So :

1. I cannot use VS 2010 now since the trial is expired

2. I cannot complete the request for a trial extension

3. I cannot remove Visual Studio 2010 using the standard Vista un-install method

4. I cannot re-install using the lastest installer.

Appreciate your help, here !

• Edited by dotScience Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:27 PM update reports on problem
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 11:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill,

I'm posting to follow up your issue. It seems like the problems still exists. I have found that you open another post in the forum, which mainly about Visual Studio registration. In this case, would you mind if we focus on the Visual Studio 2010 uninstall-reinstall issue in this post?

Based on your description, the Visual Studio installation problems you are having is:

1.       When uninstall Visual Studio 2010 Professional with the Visual Studio Uninstall Utility, it reports success, but the process msiexec.exe will remain in Task Manager after the tool closed;

2.       When uninstall VS Pro by Control Panel, it reports “Visual Studio cannot be run in Compatibility Mode”, and the uninstall could not start;

3.       Running the web installer to repair/reinstall Visual Studio 2010 Professional reports “C\Users\dotScience\AppData\Local\Temp\SIT15974.tmp\vs_setup.ms_Could not be opened. Choose Retry to try again. Choose Cancel for exit setup”;

4.       You have successfully install Visual Studio Ultimate in your system with the web installer;

Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood anything.

According to the above issues, there are several suggestions that could be helpful:

-          Would you please let me know which things make you thought the Visual Studio Uninstall Utility does not work? Did it delete any Visual Studio files in your system? Did the <VisualStudioInstallationPath> still remain the same size/files?

-          The devenv.exe is the program for Visual Studio IDE, and it is not the program will run while uninstalling Visual Studio.
    Instead, would you please go to folder <VisualStudioInstallationPath>\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional  - ENU\Setup.exe\Properties\ Compatibility tab, and check whether or not the Run this program in compatibility mode is selected?

-          Since you are using web installer to installer to install Visual Studio, which means the installer will download and install VS at the same time, and it will cache the required files in the temp folder.
    For the error message “vs_setup.msi could not be opened”, I think the Visual Studio installation cache files might corrupted. In this case, I recommend you to download and use the ISO image file to repair/reinstall Visual Studio.
    However, seems like there are some issues that prevent you successful open the Visual Studio trial ISO download page, you might try the direct download link  below from the download page:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/0/E/40EFE5F6-C7A5-48F7-8402-F3497FABF888/X16-42555VS2010ProTrial1.iso
    You can use some download manager software to download it.
    The CRC and SHA1 hash values of your downloaded ISO image should match:

o   CRC: 0xfa193733

o   SHA-1: 0x3bcbf080383a5ecbac4f6e4609004a5633e41f32

If still no avail, you’ll need to resolve the Internet connection issue first in order get Visual Studio download and register successfully.

-          To resolve the Visual Studio setup issues, typically we will need to collect the installation logs to find the cause of the failure.
    If the uninstall/reinstall still prompts for errors, would you please help to collect the installation logs for me with the
    Log Collection Utility?
    After run the tool, you can upload the vslogs.cab file to someplace on the Internet from where we can download it, such as SkyDrive.com, then post the URL links here.

I hope these will help to resolve your problem.

Have a nice day.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi dotScience,

Thanks for your post.

Would you please let me know the web brower you are using? 
    Based on my experience, the Visual Studio registration issue might caused by your browser security/cookie settings. If you are using IE, would you please go to the Tools menu -> Internet Options, and check the Internet Explorer security /cookie settings in the Security tab and Privacy tab? Please turn down the security level and turn off the Pop-up Bloccker and try to register your Viusal Studio 2010 again. After register the product, please remember to retore the security settings to the pervious state. You can also try use another network to register Visual Studio 2010.

For the Visual Studio uninstall-reinstall issue, if you could not use the Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility to uninstall Visual Studio, you can try to remove it manually. Please refer to this article for the steps to manually uninstalll Visual Studio: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx#uninstalling

After uninstall Visual Studio, you can download the ISO image file from the link below and use it to install Visual Studio 2010:
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/try

Before install Visual Studio, please turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software, clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%) and run the setup with Administrator privilege(right-click the installer -> Run as administrator).

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hi Andrew, Thanks for your reply,

I am using the IE9 Release browser.

You mention "Visual Studio Express" in your reply: is it not clear in my message that I am using a trial version of Visual Studio 2010 pro ?

Please note that: in my original post here, I mention I already downloaded and tried the  Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility you provided a link to with no success, and I describe exactly what happened.

Please note my original post clearly states I am running everything here as admin, and compatibility mode is not set for any executable I am aware of.

You mention downloading an ISO image: keeping in mind this is a trial version of VS Studio 2010 Pro, and I am trying to extend the trial period, and that is the functionality that is "not working" here, is that the right thing to download ? 

To me the inability to un-install is a second issue here, although if I could download and re-install "over the top" of the existing trial version, I wouldn't care much if it could not be un-installed ... until, that is, I really needed to un-install it: because I purchased a licensed edition ... at which point I would be "going crazy" if I couldn't use what I had just paid for.

I've looked at the "manual un-install" page you linked me to, and I see that as a last resort, since it involves manual un-installs of so many components. And, how do I know they will not also fail to un-install if Microsoft's own un-installer fails ?

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing Visual Studio Pro 2010 until I can see that major bugs like what I am experiencing now are fixed.

I will try what you suggest with IE9 security settings, of course, and report back here on what happens. It is hard to imagine, though, any dependency between your un-installer executable run as admin, and IE9 security settings.

thanks, Bill W.

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting back.

I would like to explain my previous post to help make these suggestions clearer:

To change the IE browser security settings and change your network, is for the purpose of  Visual Studio registration. If you set the security level too high, the browser might not be able to show/load the contents of the register page correctly, and this could be the reason you only saw the revolved circle instead of the register page.

For the methods to uninstall/reinstall Visual Studio, yes, it is not related with Visual Studio registration. They are solutions for issues #3 and #4 in your original post. According to your description, you could not uninstall Visual Studio via Control Panel nor by using  the Uninstall Utility, so this leads me to consider the possibility that Visual Studio might have some problems in your system.

If you could register Visual Studio with the methods above successfully and Visual Studio runs correctly, you do not need to try them.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your clarifications !

The goal of this post is to try and nail down the problem even more explicitly. I am a professional programer (credits include Adobe Illustrator 3.2, 5.0, under-the-hood work on PhotoShop's PostScript delivery system, one of four people who created what became Acrobat from scratch in what are now "paleolithic" times :), etc.). And I do have a major project I want to prototype in VS 2010 right now.

I'd like to emphasize this is a one-user-only software development machine run as "Admin," only, whose security settings are kept very high, and that all Microsoft updates, and new technology initiatives, for everything related to .NET, WPF, ASP.NET, MVC, Matrix, SilverLight, etc. are "religiously" installed/updated.

I was a registered owner of Visual Studio 2005 Ultimate, which I am pretty sure does not qualify me for any upgrade path to VS 2010 Pro. And then, I had access to MSVS Studio 2008 during a collaboration with another programmer, but when that project was finished, VS 2008 was un-installed. So many hours of investment already in WinForms, C#, Visual Studio, etc.

And once again, I'd like to repeat I am dealing with the Trial version of VS Studio 2010 Pro here, on a Win Vista 32 bit, SP2 machine, using MSSE for security, firewall, etc.

I have tried setting IE9 Release to lowest possible security and privacy settings, and disabling MSSE, and every other optional boot-time process, per your instructions: all of the errors I reported in great detail in my first post still occur exactly as first described.

I have also followed the instructions to remove various VS 2010, Sync FrameWork, SQL components, etc., as described on the web page you sent me a link to for "manual un-install:" this is clearly an "old page," and needs updating in terms of what the current VS 2010 Studio Pro Trial installs.

But, eliminating those components made no difference on any of the of the errors I reported in great detail in my first post: they still occur exactly as first described. It will still not un-install, or get an extension code.

In addition (why not ?), I also launched this machine in "Safe Mode with Networking" and tried the un-installer program, and un-installing from the Control Panel: same null results. Of course IE9 will not launch in "Safe Mode."

The uninstaller "VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe" does not remove the Trial version: it appears to work, i.e., it runs without errror, and reports success: but it does nothing. In addition, it leaves a process open it when it's terminated: msiexec.exe. Perhaps it is simply not designed to handle a Trial version ?

Since devenv.exe (VS 2010 Studio Pro Trial) is not set with "compatibility mode" "on," the standard method of uninstall via the control panel presenting a message that it cannot be uninstalled because "Visual Studio setup cannot run in compatibility mode." Is another indicator of a problem, again, possibly related to the nature of the Trial Version control software ?

Trying to run the Installer "vs_proweb.exe" in Maintenance Mode (in the absence of being able to un-install VS Studio 2010 Pro Trial) gives the message: "The Windows Installer package:c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vs_setup.msi could not be opened. Choose Retry to try again. Choose Cancel for exit setup."

I would hypothesize, again, this may reflect the fact this is a Trial version with special expiration facilities linked to the web, but that's conjecture.

I can tell you exactly where the web page that is supposed to retrieve you an extension key for the VS Studio 2010 Pro Trial is "breaking" on the web page:

https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/wizard.aspx?wizid=735C5220-CA3D-4113-BC7A-6D3F3589E02C&lcid=1033

Just look in the code fragment below for the line beginning with "// ***** Breaks Here ***** "

SCRIPT13: Type mismatch
    AjaxLite.js, line 242 character 13

// Creates HTML from XML using the XSLT at the specified URL. The HTML is
    // applied to the specified target element.
    function createFromXml(xslPath, xmlDocument, target, xslParams) {
        if (window.XSLTProcessor) {
    //        var xslDoc = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);
    //        xslDoc.async = false;
    //        xslDoc.load(xslPath);

var xmlhttp = new window.XMLHttpRequest();
            xmlhttp.open("GET", xslPath, false);
            xmlhttp.send(null);
            var xslDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML.documentElement;

var xsltProcessor = new XSLTProcessor();
            xsltProcessor.importStylesheet(xslDoc);

if (xslParams) {
                for (var i in xslParams)
                    xsltProcessor.setParameter("", i, xslParams[i]);
            }

var transformed = xsltProcessor.transformToFragment(xmlDocument, document);
            target.innerHTML = "";

target.appendChild(transformed);

if (isMozillas) {
             fixMozillaEncoding(target);
            }

transformed = null;
            xsltProcessor = null;
            xslDoc = null;
        }
        else if (window.ActiveXObject) {
            var xslCompiled;
            if (ie_xslCache[xslPath])
                xslCompiled = ie_xslCache[xslPath];
            else {
                var xslDoc = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDomDocument");
                xslDoc.async = false;
                xslDoc.load(xslPath);
                xslCompiled = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XSLTEmplate");

// ***** Breaks Here *****           

xslCompiled.stylesheet = xslDoc.documentElement;

ie_xslCache[xslPath] = xslCompiled;
            }
            var xslProc = xslCompiled.createProcessor();
            xslProc.input = xmlDocument;
            if (xslParams) {
                for (var i in xslParams) {
                    xslProc.addParameter(i, xslParams[i]);
                }
            }
            xslProc.transform();
            target.innerHTML = xslProc.output;
        }
    }

Please escalate this issue, if you can, to those on the VS Studio Pro 2010 team who handle the implementation of the Trial versions, and/or those managing the web-site(s) where the obtaining of Trial version extensions is managed.

Re-installing the OS from scratch is NOT an option here. My Win Vista 32 Ultimate goes back to maybe the third or fourth month of its issue: the last time I had a disk failure, and had to re-install the OS, it took me four full days to get through all the updating required to get Vista back up to "contemporary" and all my usual tools re-installed.

thanks, Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:22 PM minor edit for clarity
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I'm posting to follow up your issue. It seems like the problems still exists. I have found that you open another post in the forum, which mainly about Visual Studio registration. In this case, would you mind if we focus on the Visual Studio 2010 uninstall-reinstall issue in this post?

Based on your description, the Visual Studio installation problems you are having is:

1.       When uninstall Visual Studio 2010 Professional with the Visual Studio Uninstall Utility, it reports success, but the process msiexec.exe will remain in Task Manager after the tool closed;

2.       When uninstall VS Pro by Control Panel, it reports “Visual Studio cannot be run in Compatibility Mode”, and the uninstall could not start;

3.       Running the web installer to repair/reinstall Visual Studio 2010 Professional reports “C\Users\dotScience\AppData\Local\Temp\SIT15974.tmp\vs_setup.ms_Could not be opened. Choose Retry to try again. Choose Cancel for exit setup”;

4.       You have successfully install Visual Studio Ultimate in your system with the web installer;

Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood anything.

According to the above issues, there are several suggestions that could be helpful:

-          Would you please let me know which things make you thought the Visual Studio Uninstall Utility does not work? Did it delete any Visual Studio files in your system? Did the <VisualStudioInstallationPath> still remain the same size/files?

-          The devenv.exe is the program for Visual Studio IDE, and it is not the program will run while uninstalling Visual Studio.
    Instead, would you please go to folder <VisualStudioInstallationPath>\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional  - ENU\Setup.exe\Properties\ Compatibility tab, and check whether or not the Run this program in compatibility mode is selected?

-          Since you are using web installer to installer to install Visual Studio, which means the installer will download and install VS at the same time, and it will cache the required files in the temp folder.
    For the error message “vs_setup.msi could not be opened”, I think the Visual Studio installation cache files might corrupted. In this case, I recommend you to download and use the ISO image file to repair/reinstall Visual Studio.
    However, seems like there are some issues that prevent you successful open the Visual Studio trial ISO download page, you might try the direct download link  below from the download page:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/0/E/40EFE5F6-C7A5-48F7-8402-F3497FABF888/X16-42555VS2010ProTrial1.iso
    You can use some download manager software to download it.
    The CRC and SHA1 hash values of your downloaded ISO image should match:

o   CRC: 0xfa193733

o   SHA-1: 0x3bcbf080383a5ecbac4f6e4609004a5633e41f32

If still no avail, you’ll need to resolve the Internet connection issue first in order get Visual Studio download and register successfully.

-          To resolve the Visual Studio setup issues, typically we will need to collect the installation logs to find the cause of the failure.
    If the uninstall/reinstall still prompts for errors, would you please help to collect the installation logs for me with the
    Log Collection Utility?
    After run the tool, you can upload the vslogs.cab file to someplace on the Internet from where we can download it, such as SkyDrive.com, then post the URL links here.

I hope these will help to resolve your problem.

Have a nice day.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Hi Bill,

I'm posting to follow up your post. Have your problem resolved? Are there any updates?

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Hi Bill,

Since you have not post back for a long time, I'm going mark this thread as answered. If the issue still exists, please feel free to unmark it, and we will continue helping you to resolve it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, May 6, 2011 8:40 AM
  • andy, just downloaded the visual studio ultimate 2010, says license expired when i run it.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 3:54 AM