difference between wsdl and svcutil

• i have a strange issue.

i received a wsdl file, i need to make a client to call the methods in this webservice. this call requires ssl with certificate plus authentication

when i generated the proxy class with wsdl.exe i can call the webservice method by overriding the GetWebRequest() method of SoapHttpClientProtocol class.

but when i generate the proxy class with svcutil, and initiate the client, set the username/password for it

proxy.ClientCredentials.UserName.UserName = username;
    proxy.ClientCredentials.UserName.Password = password;

i receive always Authentication Required response from the web service.

i would appreciate any help what can i do, i spent already so many hours on this subject without success.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:58 PM

All replies

• In WCF you also need to configure the binding.

The exact config depends if you need message or transport level security. Probably basicHttpBinding with one of the above should work.

WCF Security, Interoperability And Performance Blog
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 2:29 AM
  • thanks for the reply

this is the config file created by svcutil.exe

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
            <binding name="HelloWorld_Request_Binding" closeTimeout="00:01:00"
              openTimeout="00:01:00" receiveTimeout="00:10:00" sendTimeout="00:01:00"
              allowCookies="false" bypassProxyOnLocal="false" hostNameComparisonMode="StrongWildcard"
              maxBufferSize="65536" maxBufferPoolSize="524288" maxReceivedMessageSize="65536"
              messageEncoding="Text" textEncoding="utf-8" transferMode="Buffered"
              <readerQuotas maxDepth="32" maxStringContentLength="8192" maxArrayLength="16384"
                maxBytesPerRead="4096" maxNameTableCharCount="16384" />
              <security mode="Transport">
                <transport clientCredentialType="None" proxyCredentialType="None"
                  realm="" />
                <message clientCredentialType="UserName" algorithmSuite="Default" />
          <endpoint address="https://URL"
            binding="basicHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="HelloWorld_Request_Binding"
            name="HelloWorld-Port" />

but with these configuration settings i'm not able to consume the HelloWorld web service.

in the request header (in fiddler) the username/password are available, but may be not as Authentication header.

do you have an idea how can i implement an authentication header? 

Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:50 AM
  • use fuddler to inspect a working request. if it uses http headers then change transport/clientCredentialType to a different value.
    WCF Security, Interoperability And Performance Blog
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:06 AM
    Friday, April 08, 2011 2:09 AM