none
msvsmon freezes computer in VS 2017

Question

• Ever since I updated from Visual Studio 2017 RC to final, msvsmon has been randomly freezing my computer when debugging projects. msvsmon will quickly start eating CPU, memory and disk until my computer becomes completely unresponsive. Unless I kill the process in task manager within about 5 seconds, I have to wait 10-20 minutes until msvsmon finishes whatever it's doing and my computer becomes usable again. During this time my display doesn't refresh at all and the hard drive indicator light is on constant.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this behaviour - it just happens randomly and is incredibly frustrating. I've tried reinstalling Visual Studio but that didn't fix it. I'm thinking about doing a Windows reset/refresh but wanted to check here first for any ideas.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi jsatellite,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> Ever since I updated from Visual Studio 2017 RC to final, msvsmon has been randomly freezing my computer when debugging projects.

Do you mean this issue randomly happens for the same solution after you upgraded to the VS 2017 RTM version?

Now the latest update of VS 2017 RTM is released on March 16, please go to Tools-Extensions and Updates-Updates and if there lists the Visual Studio Update, please download it to install and restart the VS 2017 to test this issue again.

To troubleshot this issue, please have a try with the following:

1. Temporarily turn off firewall and antivirus software

2. Run the devenv.exe and msvsmon.exe as administrator

3. Reboot the computer

4. Re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator and click the option icon beside 'Modify' 'Launch' button, select 'Repair' to repair VS 2017

5. Create a new ASP.NET application or Windows desktop application and deploy it to the remote machine like you did before, then check if this issue persists or not.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this issue randomly happens for the same solution after I upgraded to VS 2017 RTM.

I followed all the steps you suggested but they did not help. msvsmon is still freezing the machine. Note that I am not deploying to a remote machine - I am debugging a 64-bit application locally. But I understand that the 64-bit debugger needs msvsmon regardless.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hi jsatellite,

Thank you for your confirmation.

Since this issue happens in VS 2017 RTM version, please make sure VS 2017 already installed the latest update, go to Tools-Extensions and Updates-Update and if there have any pending Visual Studio Update, please install it.

Go to the VS 2017 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx\Common7\IDE and run the following commands. After each command, reopen VS to check this issue.

devenv /resetuserdata: clear the old user data

devenv /safemode: run the VS as safe, if it works fine that means the installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.

devenv /setup

BTW, you can have a look at Windows updates and make sure it is up-to-date.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yye Software Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:56 AM
  • We are also having this exact same problem. Was there any resolution?
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:31 PM
  • OK, knock on wood, but I think this step from your most recent reply fixed it:

devenv /resetuserdata

Normally within 5 minutes it would crash the machine. I've been using it for nearly 30 minute without issue.

One observation, when things weren't working, I would start the debugger and when I closed the browser, the debugger would still be running (usually VS would stop the debugger when you exit all instances of the browser). After doing the step above, the debugger always seems to exit cleanly.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Hi my friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum and thank you for your sharing.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 03, 2017 1:47 AM