none
Word VSTO Template Ribbon not showing up. RRS feed

• Question

• 1.  Start new "Word 2013 and 2016 VSTO Template" project in Visual Studio.
    2.  Use existing template "Editman.dotm".
    3.  Add New Item to Project: Ribbon (Visual Designer)
    4.  Add a group to the ribbon and buttons to the group.
    5.  Start Debugging.  The new ribbon shows up, as expected.
    6.  Publish solution.
    7.  Run .exe from published solution on test machine.
    8.  Open Word on test machine.  New Ribbon does not appear.
    9.  Open Editman.dotm on test machine.  Ribbon shows up.
    10.  Add Editman.dotm to the Word Startup folder.  Run Word, ribbon still doesn't show up.
    Question:  Why does the ribbon show up when I double click on Editman.dotm, but doesn't show up when I have put Editman.dotm in the Word Startup folder?

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please visit Office Project Templates Overview, you could find:

Limitations of Global Templates and Excel Add-ins (.xla Files)

Documents, workbooks, and templates might not work correctly as global templates or Excel VSTO Add-ins (.xla files).

Word Templates

If a Microsoft Office Word template has managed code extensions, the project assembly is not called if the template is attached as a global template or loaded from the startup directory of Word. In addition, the document does not recognize the format of a template that is part of an Office solution.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please visit Office Project Templates Overview, you could find:

Limitations of Global Templates and Excel Add-ins (.xla Files)

Documents, workbooks, and templates might not work correctly as global templates or Excel VSTO Add-ins (.xla files).

Word Templates

If a Microsoft Office Word template has managed code extensions, the project assembly is not called if the template is attached as a global template or loaded from the startup directory of Word. In addition, the document does not recognize the format of a template that is part of an Office solution.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:53 AM
  • I re-created the project as an add-in, instead of a template, and got it to work.  After this experience, I have no idea why anyone would use a template, if the ribbons and other objects added to the project don't show up when you open the template by placing it in the Startup folder.  Maybe I have a limited understanding as to how people use Word templates.
    Friday, November 18, 2016 1:20 PM