none
Display in vb RRS feed

• Question

• i have developed a system in vb to take in inventory of drugs. but i want to be able to display the drugs running out and the quantity left after they hit a minimum point, and show the list of drugs in a list box. i hope my question is clear
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The first part which is needed is a proper table setup to accommodate what is in stock, considered running out and minimum point to reorder a product/drug at the very least.

The following is in SQL-Server but could be MS-Access, Oracle etc.

Products has columns that would seem to fill your requirements.

When an item is going to be purchased a check is made on UnitsInStock, if there is enough to complete the order the UnitsInStock is updated to reflect items purchased. If items purchased drops below ReorderLevel then you decide on how to handle e.g. have a SELECT statement that perhaps runs once a day or week to allow the items that need to be ordered actually ordered. ReorderLevel would indicate how many items to order. You would need to keep in account that the backend to this application would need a way to update ReorderLevel in the event the item becomes very popular.

Suppliers is important in the event one company can not fill reorders in a timely manner so it would be good to have multiple suppliers. Categories breaks down drugs into their respective categories which can make it easier to perform searches on items needed for orders and also reorders along with reports. 

See the following TechNet article which shows the basics for beginning this endeavor

Optionally (but a good idea) is to break down the design to have contact tables e.g.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:40 PM

All replies

• Hi

All well and good,but you will need to show the code you have already (or have tried).

The points you ask about are reasonable straight forward to do, but, you would need to give a lot more details.

For example: do you have the data in a database, or perhaps in a text file etc. If in a file, you would need to show sample data and its format in the file.

Presumably you have an 'input' form of some sort to enter details of additions, you should show the code for that.

Just in case: is this anything to do with a homework assignment?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:03 PM
  • What is the form of your database of drugs? Access or SQL or?

What GUI do you have already ie DataGridView?

Explain more about what you want this to look like even include a link to an image of what you mean.

Will the "quantity left after they hit a minimum point" be a popup or a red cell or what exactly?  What will "show the list of drugs in a list box" look like? A listbox on a form? A DataGridView?.

What have you done already?

Try to break the problem down into smaller parts that can be delt with individually and describe questions you have about each.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Your questions is very easy to do in VB therefore I really don't understand why you ask this. 

If quantityleft < Minimum then TheListBox.Add(drugsdescription)

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Hello,

The first part which is needed is a proper table setup to accommodate what is in stock, considered running out and minimum point to reorder a product/drug at the very least.

The following is in SQL-Server but could be MS-Access, Oracle etc.

Products has columns that would seem to fill your requirements.

When an item is going to be purchased a check is made on UnitsInStock, if there is enough to complete the order the UnitsInStock is updated to reflect items purchased. If items purchased drops below ReorderLevel then you decide on how to handle e.g. have a SELECT statement that perhaps runs once a day or week to allow the items that need to be ordered actually ordered. ReorderLevel would indicate how many items to order. You would need to keep in account that the backend to this application would need a way to update ReorderLevel in the event the item becomes very popular.

Suppliers is important in the event one company can not fill reorders in a timely manner so it would be good to have multiple suppliers. Categories breaks down drugs into their respective categories which can make it easier to perform searches on items needed for orders and also reorders along with reports. 

See the following TechNet article which shows the basics for beginning this endeavor

Optionally (but a good idea) is to break down the design to have contact tables e.g.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:40 PM
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPDoEynnOE&t=75s

pls check the above link to see how i would like the alert appear

• Edited by adocta Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:49 AM
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPDoEynnOE&t=75s

pls check the above link to see how i would like the alert appear

I haven't viewed the link but it is up to you to write the code for how you want some alert to appear.

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:33 PM