none
What is the license of .NET ? RRS feed

• Question

• I heard from a friend that it is ECMA compliant. I don't know what it means exactly.

Can someone explain what is the .NET license exactly?

Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:32 AM

Answers

• Both C# and the CLI are approved and standardized by ECMA and ISO and can be implemented independently from Microsoft.

The ECMA-334 is the language specification and it's not related to anything, unless you want to implement the language yourself.

I believe you can use the .Net framework and its class libraries to almost anything and everything as long as it's Microsoft platform and you hold legal copy of the platform you're working and developing for.

The only thing I can think of that can be quite an issue is related to deployment and as far as I can see the licenses given by Microsoft solves just that.

P.s. I advise you to hire a lawyer that is specialized in these matters if you don't want to put yourself in troubles.

Sun sued Microsoft, now it's Oracle that hunts Google because of their precious syntax of Java.

Eyal, Regards.

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. -- Martin Fowler.

Visual Studio Command Browser 2.0 CodeVolume.Presenters
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can check it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework#Standardization_and_licensing

The .Net framework has nothing to do with ECMA, or ISO apart from the standarization of the C# language.

Eyal, Regards.

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. -- Martin Fowler.

Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:47 AM
  • Wiki is so vague...

So, can I develop a C# application and sell it anytime without worrying about patents (like this issue )?

I am trying to understand what is allowed with .NET...

I found these, but I do not fully understand it:

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-334.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/cp/default.mspx#E5

How free is C# truly ?

Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Both C# and the CLI are approved and standardized by ECMA and ISO and can be implemented independently from Microsoft.

The ECMA-334 is the language specification and it's not related to anything, unless you want to implement the language yourself.

I believe you can use the .Net framework and its class libraries to almost anything and everything as long as it's Microsoft platform and you hold legal copy of the platform you're working and developing for.

The only thing I can think of that can be quite an issue is related to deployment and as far as I can see the licenses given by Microsoft solves just that.

P.s. I advise you to hire a lawyer that is specialized in these matters if you don't want to put yourself in troubles.

Sun sued Microsoft, now it's Oracle that hunts Google because of their precious syntax of Java.

Eyal, Regards.

Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:21 AM