none
Running Visual Studio 2019 Release and Preview versions side by side. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the release version of VS2019 (16.0) on April 3rd.  I then noticed in the IDE that updates were available.  What I didn't realize is that these are preview versions and installed them. I am currently running 16.0.3 - Preview 3.  I found some documentation that states you can run the release and preview versions side by side.  However, I haven't found any documentation on how exactly you do that.  How do I either run the versions side by side, or get back to running my original install version 16.0.

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:07 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for your replies.  Yes, I understand the 16.0.... are production updates.  I am now on 16.0.4.
    • Marked as answer by prgscd Monday, May 20, 2019 11:10 AM
    • Edited by prgscd Monday, May 20, 2019 11:13 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 11:10 AM

All replies

• Well, are you sure that you are not confusing things?

In the Visual Studio installer, the preview versions are clearly marked.

Notice at the bottom of the list this is clearly marked as Visual Studio Community 2019 Preview?

Also, at the top of my list, I have Visual Studio Community 2019?

Now, if you also notice, my version of Visual Studio 2019 is version 16.0.3. This 3 isn't a preview or anything, this is the 3rd patch for Visual Studio 2019 16.0.

So unless the version literally says preview in the title or version number then it isn't a preview. Do you have the word preview in your the product name or version number anywhere?

Also, when you run Visual Studio 2019, Visual Studio will always identify itself as a preview if it is.

This is always in the top right of the window, do you have it there?

If you answer is yes, go to the visualstudio.com download page and for the edition that you want, make sure to click either the Free download or Free trial button, not the Download Preview link below it. If you then run the installer that you get from that, then the installer will update to allow you to install the release versions of Visual Studio 2019.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:06 PM
  • Hi prgscd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

What I didn't realize is that these are preview versions and installed them. 

Could you explain it detailed what‘s happen? In my side, if I open IDE and choose install updates, there would be install some associated updates for this version. How did you know the updated you installed belongs to preview version? Could you show me?

Yes, MS could support preview and release version installed side by side, But the situation would occur when you installed preview version before that RTM version be released. So you will see two versions lies in your installer window. please see my snapshot.

BTW, VS 2019 don’t support downgrade, could you please tell me why do you want to back to 16.0.0?

Sincerely

May  

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:47 AM
  • Hi prgscd,

Not get the response from you for several days, would you please share us the latest information in your side? Could you get any helpful suggestions from Darran Rowe and May's reply?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 3:29 AM
  • Thank you all for your replies.  Yes, I understand the 16.0.... are production updates.  I am now on 16.0.4.
    • Marked as answer by prgscd Monday, May 20, 2019 11:10 AM
    • Edited by prgscd Monday, May 20, 2019 11:13 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 11:10 AM