none
Getting Started with Visual Basic RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application which is written in Excel VBA, I've migrated all of the data into SQL and now Excel is redundant, I need to expand on the forms and the code, all of which could be done in Excel. 

Sometime ago I need a similar project using Visual Basic 6 and this would work perfectly for my needs however I can't seem to figure out how to install it. 

I understand it's now wrapped up in Visual Studio and is called Visual Basic .Net. I've installed VS2019 I believe this is the IDE, happy to use whatever. But I can't find Visual Basic or Visual .Net to install. Everything I google just tells me to install Visual Studio. 

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:39 AM

All replies

• See Visual Studio IDE documentation. If you have specific questions then it might be better to create a question for that or those but that page should help a lot. Specifically look at {Step 4} in {Install Visual Studio}. There is a good chance you have already installed VB.Net but if you have not then you do that using the VS installer.

VB.Net is very different from VBA and VB 6. For one thing VB.Net is quite object-oriented or at least supports OOP very well. It also supports use of the Windows API when we need to but it also has higher-level interfaces (designers specifically) for us for developing the application UI. For databases there is Entity Framework that also requires time to learn but can make database programming easier.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Hi neodotnet,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>> But I can’t find Visual Basic or Visual .Net to install.

## I suppose you might not install one certain workload.

Please check if you have installed “.NET desktop development” workload. (Open Visual Studio Installer -> Visual Studio 2019 -> Modify -> Workloads -> Windows -> .NET desktop development)

If not, please select this workload -> click Modify and check if you could create a specified solution.

In addition, you could also refer to this document about Visual Studio workload and component IDs for more information.

If your issue persists, please feel free to let me know.

Hope all above could help you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:25 AM
  • Hi neodotnet,

Do you have any updates?

If you want to develop VB.NET application in the VS 2019, like Tianyu recommended, please run the VS installer as administrator, click Modify and check the workload, make sure the option '.NET desktop development' is checked. If not, please select it to install. After that, if you open the VS 2019, you can create a new project and choose the VB.net project type. For more information about the workloads, please check this doc.

If you still have any other issues, please feel free to let us know, we will try our best to help you.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:52 AM