none
.NET 4.0 Support for Server Core RRS feed

• Question

• According to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en#Requirements, .NET 4.0 does not yet support Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core). I would imagine there any plans to support Server Core and was wondering what type of time frame we would be looking at?

Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:52 AM

Answers

• .NET 4 for Server Core is now available.

Old Answer 

I am the person responsible for what and how we release .NET 4. This means I specify things such as

• what goes in .NET and .NET Client Profile?
    • what OSs .NET will support
    • how we will distribute .NET

Supporting Server Core is very challenging for .NET. This is due to two things. First it the nature of Server Core. Server Core is meant to have a specific set of OS functionality. The only changes allowed to OS components is patching for security and bugs. Secondly, .NET is an OS component. This means that by design .NET can only patch .NET 3.5 SP1 on Server Core. Only when a new version of Server Core is released can a new version of .NET be included. 

We are exploring our options however .NET as an OS components has to follow certain rules. Thus at release .NET 4 is not available on Windows 2008 R2 Server Core installations. It is only available on regular server installations.

While this does not answer your question directly this is the only thing we are prepared to say at this time.

Respectfully,

Rabi Satter
    SKU Owner .NET Family of Products

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:29 AM
    • Edited by Rabi Satter Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:48 PM Server Core version is released
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Yowhann,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to get .NET Framework 4.0 supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 on Server Core Role.

As we know, .NET Framework 4.0 is released later than Windows Server 2008 R2. It would be understandable that .NET Framework 4.0 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core) when it is released.

Frankly speaking, I'm not quite sure the time frame on your concern. However, I can understand your favor on this kind of support. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need it. You can post your feedback on our Connect portal site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments or plans further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve .NET Framework products.

Thank you for your help.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Unmarked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:31 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Thanks for your post YiChun. I am not sure I follow your rationale fully.

As we know, .NET Framework 4.0 is released later than Windows Server 2008 R2. It would be understandable that .NET Framework 4.0 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core) when it is released.

Are you saying that because .NET 4.0 is released after existing products, it is understandable that there isn't support on server core yet? Or that there are no plans to have .NET 4.0 on server core (i.e. because of limited server core user base) It may be insightful to get background information on the roadblocks towards running .NET 4.0 on Server Core vs. Server. 

It would seem reasonable to Server Core adopters need to be able to run .NET 4.0 for the same reasons as non-core adopters. I have submitted feedback to Connect portal site. By the way, should I also contact Server Core?

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:25 PM
  • We are also looking at deploying ServerCore, and .NET 4.0, but are puzzled/Concerned about the lack of compatibility at this time.  One would think that MS would like to ensure .NET 4 is supported on all it's server platforms.   We may delay rolling out 2008 R2 ServerCore for this reason.

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Hi Yowhann,

Thank you for your feedback.

Are you saying that because .NET 4.0 is released after existing products, it is understandable that there isn't support on server core yet? Or that there are no plans to have .NET 4.0 on server core (i.e. because of limited server core user base) It may be insightful to get background information on the roadblocks towards running .NET 4.0 on Server Core vs. Server.

It's my guess on that.
    For example, when Visual Studio 2008 was released, it supported SQL Server 2005. However, many customers want to apply it with SQL Server 2008 (which is released later than VS2008). In Visual Studio 2008 SP1, it began to support SQL Server 2008.
    For more information, please check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139.
    Thus, I think that .NET 4.0 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core) would be something like that. However, it's just my assumption.
    Or there would be some possible reason that Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core) doesn't support .NET Framework 4.0. I'm not quite familiar with Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core). I'm not quite sure the root cause of that.

It would seem reasonable to Server Core adopters need to be able to run .NET 4.0 for the same reasons as non-core adopters. I have submitted feedback to Connect portal site. By the way, should I also contact Server Core?

Yes, absolutely you can.
    Thank you for your help and feedback on Connect Portal. I've voted your post.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:00 AM typo
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Hi Yowhann,

I'm writing to follow up the post.

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:43 AM
  • .NET 4 for Server Core is now available.

Old Answer 

I am the person responsible for what and how we release .NET 4. This means I specify things such as

• what goes in .NET and .NET Client Profile?
    • what OSs .NET will support
    • how we will distribute .NET

Supporting Server Core is very challenging for .NET. This is due to two things. First it the nature of Server Core. Server Core is meant to have a specific set of OS functionality. The only changes allowed to OS components is patching for security and bugs. Secondly, .NET is an OS component. This means that by design .NET can only patch .NET 3.5 SP1 on Server Core. Only when a new version of Server Core is released can a new version of .NET be included. 

We are exploring our options however .NET as an OS components has to follow certain rules. Thus at release .NET 4 is not available on Windows 2008 R2 Server Core installations. It is only available on regular server installations.

While this does not answer your question directly this is the only thing we are prepared to say at this time.

Respectfully,

Rabi Satter
    SKU Owner .NET Family of Products

• Edited by Rabi Satter Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:48 PM Server Core version is released
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:06 AM
  • @ Rabi:

Thank you for your kindly explanation on the reason why .NET Framework 4.0 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core). I really appreciate it since I'm not quite familiar with Server 2008, and I believe this will benefit Yowhann, Rnavis and other community members to understand that.

Hi Yowhann,

Now we can know that .NET Framework 4.0 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core) and the reason why it is not supported.

I've marked related replies as answer. If you need any further help, please feel free to let me know.

Hope Rabi, Rnavis and you have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Dear All, I really can't understand why can you postpone the support for Windows Server Core.

So, the use of Windows Server Core will not be recommended for Server Farms?

And about the AppFabric and Distributed Cache? They only run over .NET 4, will they not be supported on Windows Server Core too?

Polita Paulus answered my question on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2010/04/11/announcing-visual-studio-2010-and-net-framework-4.aspx, but I'm really not satisfied.

Will .NET 4 be deployed or is there some plan to really deply .NET 4 on Windows Server Core or should we forget it and look for some other third party solution to Distributed Cache?

Thanks,

José Carlos.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Dear All:

We really, really, REALLY need a release date of when server core will support .Net 4.0.  Is there any release date in sight?

Thanks

- ANdy  

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Hia,

Still no update on when the planned release of .NET 4.0 for core will be available?

Cheers,

Rob

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:26 PM
  • You can expect some progress on this soon, the new version of SQL Server will be designed to work on server core, but requires .net 4.0.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:58 AM
  • Any time fames?  This has been an open issue for 6+ months. 
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:32 PM
  • The support for upgrades of the .NET framework on the Server Core environments should be the main concern for the Core team. The core server loses significant advantage for the web farms being behind on the .net framework. The .NET upgrade and MVC will decide adoption of the Windows Server Core among business.

We cannot implement designed Web Farm based on this issue.

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:20 PM
  • .NET 4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Server Core will be made available in Q1 of this year. For more information see Andrew Mason's announcement.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:54 PM