none
VS2012Update3 - What causes the "Add Screen" toolbar button to be disabled in query designer window? RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a screen from a query, the docs for VS2012 (and VS2013 Preview) say to click the 'Add Screen' toolbar button in the query designer.  However, that button is disabled for me, and it's not clear why or how I would be able to get it 'back'?  It's disabled for all of my queries, including ones I just created.  The app isn't running, nor is VS debugging it or anything else.

This particular LS app had an html client added to it for a bit, but deleting that client and restarting VS didn't restore the 'Add Screen' button.

sshot of disabled Add Screen toolbar button

Semi-related, but IMHO if a piece of UI is disabled, there should be some mechanism the user can use to find out why it's disabled (permission? supported version issue? corruption? other?).  In the case of VS, modifying the tooltip text seems viable, albeit likely more complicated than it's worth. :)

current tooltip text for disabled Add Screen toolbar button

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

If your project only contains a Silverlight client, the Add Screen but should still appear. Once you have added an HTML Client and the project is upgraded, the button is disabled. I suspect this was done because LightSwitch doesn't know which kind of screen to add - Silverlight or HTML.

You can still add a screen by right clicking the Screens node in Solution Explorer.

The topic that you are referring to is still technically correct - it's a part of the Guided Tour tutorial which only creates a Silverlight client.

Hope this helps,

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the Lights Witch (IEnumerable of Newt)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:47 PM