none
linux development - toolchain path RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

VS provides capability for linux develpoment.

I would please like to ask:

Isn't there an issue of compatiliibty between the gcc in target and host VS gcc in toolchain ?

I mean, can it be just very old gcc in target ( I guess not), I haven't find the "requirement" for the target.

Another thing, what is the toolchain pathin windows ?

Can I manually add new library from linux ,for example pciutils is needed to application, how should it be added (if not already in toolchain) ?

Thank you,

ran

Monday, December 31, 2018 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for posting here.

The Linux Development with C++ workload  in Visual Studio 2017 enables you to author C++ code for Linux servers, desktops and devices. You can manage your connections to these machines from within Visual Studio. Visual Studio will automatically copy and remotely build your sources and can launch your application with the debugger.

You can override the compiler commands used on the remote machine in the Property Pages on the C/C++ General Property Page. That will enable you to point to specific versions of GCC if needed or even point to an alternate compiler like clang. You can use either full paths or a command available on your path.

>>I mean, can it be just very old gcc in target ( I guess not), I haven't find the "requirement" for the target.

Visual Studio supports building remotely on the Linux target machine. It is not limited to specific Linux distros, but we do have dependencies on the presence of some tools. Specifically, we need openssh-server, g++, gdb and gdbserver. Use your favorite package manager to install them.

>>Can I manually add new library from linux ,for example pciutils is needed to application, how should it be added (if not already in toolchain) ?

I suggest you refer to the Linux Project Properties:
      https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/03/30/visual-c-for-linux-development/#projectproperties

Here is another link about Linux development with C++ in Visual Studio.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/04/11/linux-development-with-c-in-visual-studio/

Hope these will help you.

Best Wishes,

Jack

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by DerChris88 Friday, January 11, 2019 12:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 3:05 AM