none
vc++ integrated package splash screen issue (vs2008) RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone,

We are developing a vc++ based product that extends the VS IDE using the Integration Package mechanism. The product contains  VsPackage that get correctly built along with an installer that we have written. The Installer deploys the product correctly in other machines - No problem so far.

Now I decided to rebrand the package names and the product details strings and also wanted to provide icons for the packages to be shown in the splash screen and the About Box. So far we had been using constant strings and now we decided to use the IVsInstalledProduct interface to achieve this.

The entire project gets built correctly - the build process also registers the packages correctly!

the problem happens when I start Visual Studio (from experimental hive) after the build. it wont launch any instances of Visual studio and if it launches the visual studio it misses the package to integartion .

The problem is that the new icons and strings does not appear in the splash screen sometimes it does not launch Experimental Hive or Main intance of Visual studio .

But if i install through installer the About Box  working correctly  except splash screen

Note : in the splash screen I could not see the newly added icons and strings!

any idea on what is going wrong here!! if you have come across similar mistakes by other developers previously - then I would be very grateful if someone can pass that information to me.

any pointers can also help.

thanks in advance,
    Shrikanth GC

Thanks & regards, Shrikanth GC
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• hello everyone,

We are developing a vc++ based product that extends the VS IDE using the Integration Package mechanism. The product contains  VsPackage that get correctly built along with an installer that we have written. The Installer deploys the product correctly in other machines - No problem so far.

Now I decided to rebrand the package names and the product details strings and also wanted to provide icons for the packages to be shown in the splash screen and the About Box. So far we had been using constant strings and now we decided to use the IVsInstalledProduct interface to achieve this.

The entire project gets built correctly - the build process also registers the packages correctly!

the problem happens when I start Visual Studio (from experimental hive) after the build. it wont launch any instances of Visual studio and if it launches the visual studio it misses the package to integartion .

The problem is that the new icons and strings does not appear in the splash screen sometimes it does not launch Experimental Hive or Main intance of Visual studio .

But if i install through installer the About Box  working correctly  except splash screen

Note : in the splash screen I could not see the newly added icons and strings!

any idea on what is going wrong here!! if you have come across similar mistakes by other developers previously - then I would be very grateful if someone can pass that information to me.

any pointers can also help.

thanks in advance,
    Shrikanth GC

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Already answered over on this thread.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:32 PM
  • hello,

i can see only Help->About dialog BOX, It is not displaying logo on Splash screen...any ideass??

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hello, Shrikanth

Please see this relevant post, Hugues Valois has given an answer about this.

According his description, the reason is the inconsistent of vs000223.dat file between the ProgramData folder and the IDE folder.

See this http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsx/thread/022940c8-9898-4e6e-9482-640b2983c08b/

Thanks

Chao

Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:07 AM