none
Visual Studio 2019 works poorly RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently upgraded to VS2019, but it's giving me a lot of trouble. Here's a list of issues I'm experiencing:

• At random, parts of the document I'm editing become unclickable for a couple seconds to a minute
      • This seems to happen the most with method names and things being assigned
      • Clicking and selecting some other stuff fixes this quicker than waiting for it to respond
    • The test explorer often hangs, not allowing me to do anything with it
    • When scrolling, VS will constantly freeze for about a second

I really like the new features though, and would love to be able to actually use VS2019. But if I can't get these issues resolved, I'm stuck with VS2017.

Does anyone know what might be the issue here, and how I could fix this?

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hi DriesGreenen,

I experienced the same (or very similar) issue as you in Visual Studio 2019.
    VS 2019 (with Code Editor) didn't respond, so I could not help closing VS 2019 and restart it.

Now, the version of VS 2019 is 16.3.7 (in my environments).
    With this version, the issue seems to be resolved.

Which version do you have?  If it is not the latest, please update it.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Marked as answer by DriesGeenen Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi DriesGreenen,

I experienced the same (or very similar) issue as you in Visual Studio 2019.
    VS 2019 (with Code Editor) didn't respond, so I could not help closing VS 2019 and restart it.

Now, the version of VS 2019 is 16.3.7 (in my environments).
    With this version, the issue seems to be resolved.

Which version do you have?  If it is not the latest, please update it.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Marked as answer by DriesGeenen Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi DriesGeenen,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, you could go to Help/Visual Studio Performance Manager, to disable some windows. And you could close extra opening windows in VS IDE, for example sever explorer. 

Then disable some extensions you don't need in menu Extensions/ Manage Extensions. After these, please restart VS to check if the issues has been solved.

Look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:55 AM