none
II7: ISAPI Wildcard Extension generates 500 error (0x8007007f) RRS feed

• Question

• I've written an ISAPI extension using Visual Studio 2012 on windows 7 that is a very simple passthrough wildcard extension.  When compiled as 32 bit, and with the app pool set to allow 32 bit applications the filter works well.  But when I compile as 64 bit I get a 500 error with the code 0x8007007f.  64 bit depends shows all green.  There are no errors in the event log.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Marc Boorshtein,

Thanks for your post.  It is not clear what kind of project you create, such as win32 application, or win32 console application or MFC.

Just as far as I know, IIS 7.0 Default Application Pool's WOW64 / Enable32BitApp property is enabled by default, and this makes x64 ISAPI extension DLL to fail loading.

However we can specify ISAPI extension explicitly to be loaded as x64 module using "precondition='bitness64' " settings like ISAPI filters, so that ISAPI extension works no matter what application pool is configured for.  You can have a try to add preCondition.

<add name="aspnet_isapi 32-bit" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode, runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness32" />

<add name="aspnet_isapi 64-bit" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode, runtimeVersionv2.0,bitness64" />

More detailed information please refer to

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/david.wang/archive/2008/10/30/howto-precondition-an-isapi-extension-dll.aspx?Redirected=true

If this could not help you, there is IIS forum can provide more professional support.

Best Regards,

May

May Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:20 PM
  • The project is a Win32 project.  Use of MFC is "Use Standard Windows Libraries" and no ATL.  I've verifed that the app pool is NOT set to allow 32 bit.  So this shouldn't matter, correct?  Is there something special I need to do in the build?

Thanks

Marc

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Hi Marc Boorshtein,

I search 500 error with the code 0x8007007f on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942031/en-us, and it displays like below:

Error message 6

Server Error in Application "application name"
    HTTP Error 500.0 – Internal Server Error
    HRESULT: 0x8007007f
    Description of HRESULT Calling GetProcAddress on ISAPI filter "path_of_isapi" failed

Error message 7

Server Error in Application "application name"
    HTTP Error 500.0 – Internal Server Error
    HRESULT: 0x8007007f
    Description of HRESULT There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, so it cannot be displayed.

Maybe you should check if you have the right ISAPI filter and set the right path for it. If you don’t have the right filter, you can add filter refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754174(v=ws.10).aspx.

More suggestions related ISAPI filters please refer to

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8d9b8cbc-7814-42c1-85d6-ff02239136a1/isapi-filters

On the other side, I still want to suggest that please check How to: Configure Visual C++ Projects to Target 64-Bit Platforms to make sure the configurations for running on 64 bit is no problem.

If it still does not work, maybe we need to have patience to wait answer from your post in IIS forum.

Thanks again for your post and quickly feedback!

Best Regards,

May

May Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:49 AM