none
Change VS 2017 Program Files Location

Question

• Hi friends,

After installation of VS 2017 I have come to realize that the same is taking a very huge space on root drive and C: is running out of space. In this regard, I seek to have the same being installed on E: instead of C:

Any advice?

With offline installation already available with me should I uninstall the said program and re-install with selection of E: drive?

Thanks in advance for your expert feedback.

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Faraz A. Qureshi,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>With offline installation already available with me should I uninstall the said program and re-install with selection of E: drive?

If you has installed some components before, when you uncheck and re-install, the location path is still grey out, please see my screenshot, I uncheck "Desktop development with C++", try to change the path but failed:

Given that the VS takes up much space of Drive C, you need to uninstall the whole VS first, please try with following steps:

1. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, if there has ‘Microsoft Visual Studio 2017’, right click it and choose ‘Uninstall’

2. Try to delete the following installed folders: (you can back up those folders before any modification, in case we need to roll back)

3. Go to the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio and delete the ‘Packages’ folder and ‘Setup’ folder if there has.

4. Go to the Visual Studio installation folder (normally under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio) and delete the folder ‘2017’

After the complete uninstallation, re-run the installer, you could change the path to another drive:

Note: this won't change location of all files, but only of those which can be (by design) installed onto different location. Be warned that there is many shared components which will be installed into shared repositories on drive C: without any possibility to change their path.

Besides, We’d love to hear from you! For problems, let us know via the Report a Problem option in the upper right corner,  either from the installer or the Visual Studio IDE itself. Track your feedback on the Developer Community portal. For suggestions,  let us know through UserVoice.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:02 AM