none
Is a field but used like a type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

In my 'safe' application, I am trying to make it so once the conditions of the form have been changed the function of this button changes. Once the background color has been changed etc I want it to display a message box to the user saying that they can only enter a new combination once the safe has been unlocked. I have highlighted the bit I am having trouble with

Cheers guys,

Joe

private void btn_setcombo_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {

str_safe_combo = My_Dialogs.InputBox("Please enter a safe combination containing at least 5 numbers"); //Displays an Input Box to the user so they can enter a combination for the safe 

while (str_safe_combo.Length <= 5) //Makes sure that the user has to enter a valid combination
                {
                    MessageBox.Show("Combination must be greater than 5 characters!");
                    str_safe_combo = My_Dialogs.InputBox("Please enter a safe combination containing at least 5 numbers"); //Displays an Input Box to the user so they can enter a combination for the safe 
                }

BackColor = Color.Red; //Changes the background colour of the form to red
                safestatus.BackColor = Color.Pink; //Changes the background colour of the safe status text box to pink
                safestatus.Text = ("Locked"); //Changes the text in the safe status textbox to 'Locked'
                keyentry.BackColor = Color.Yellow; //Changes the background colour of the key entry text box to yellow
                btn_test.Enabled = true; //Enables the test key button
                btn_test.Text = ("Test Access Code"); //Changes the text on the button from nothing to 'Test Access Code'

}
                else
    			{
    				btn_test.Click = MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");
                }

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

• I think your condition is wrong. Seeing your message box text, I think you have to use below condition,

{
         if(safestatus.Text != "Locked")
         {

while (str_safe_combo.Length <= 5) //Makes sure that the user has to enter a valid combination
                {
                }

safestatus.BackColor = Color.Pink; //Changes the background colour of the safe status text box to pink
                safestatus.Text = ("Locked"); //Changes the text in the safe status textbox to 'Locked'
                keyentry.BackColor = Color.Yellow; //Changes the background colour of the key entry text box to yellow
                btn_test.Text = ("Test Access Code"); //Changes the text on the button from nothing to 'Test Access Code'
          else
          {
               btn_test.Click += (s, ev) => MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");
          }
    }

I hope this helps.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

• Proposed as answer by Jason Dot Wang Monday, December 24, 2012 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason Dot Wang Monday, December 31, 2012 5:10 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 5:28 AM

All replies

• Change that piece of code as below,

btn_test.Click += (s,ev) => MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");

I hope this helps.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:36 PM

btn_test.Click += (s,ev) => MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");

I hope this helps.

Sorry that didn't work, it said something about invalid tokens
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:51 PM
  •  BackColor = Color.Red; //Changes the background colour of the form to red

This is wrong. You are assigning value to a type itself not to any object.

Remove this line.

Hope this helps!

One good question is equivalent to ten best answers.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Are you using .NET framework older than 3.0? If yes, then use the below code, otherwise the above code should have worked.

button1.Click += delegate(object s, EventArgs ev) { MessageBox.Show("Test"); };

I hope this helps.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:03 PM

Remove this line.

Hope this helps!

I wanted the background color of the form to change to red
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Are you using .NET framework older than 3.0? If yes, then use the below code, otherwise the above code should have worked.

button1.Click += delegate(object s, EventArgs ev) { MessageBox.Show("Test"); };

I hope this helps.

I am using .Net Framework 4.0
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:05 PM

Remove this line.

Actually that is correct line. That is equivalent to this.BackColor = Color.Red.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:05 PM

Remove this line.

Actually that is correct line. That is equivalent to this.BackColor = Color.Red.

Yes my mistake.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:11 PM

I hope this helps.

These are build errors it lists

Error 1 Invalid token 'else' in class, struct, or interface member declaration Form1.cs 48 13 The Safe Assignment
    Error 2 Invalid token '+=' in class, struct, or interface member declaration Form1.cs 50 20 The Safe Assignment
    Error 3 Invalid token '(' in class, struct, or interface member declaration Form1.cs 50 39 The Safe Assignment
    Error 4 Expected class, delegate, enum, interface, or struct Form1.cs 53 17 The Safe Assignment

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:21 PM

I hope this helps.

Sorry that didn't work, it said something about invalid tokens

If you are using .NET 4.0 , this code should not give any error. Can you provide us you method code again.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:21 PM

I hope this helps.

Error 1 Invalid token 'else' in class, struct, or interface member declaration Form1.cs 48 13 The Safe Assignment
    Error 2 Invalid token '+=' in class, struct, or interface member declaration Form1.cs 50 20 The Safe Assignment
    Error 3 Invalid token '(' in class, struct, or interface member declaration Form1.cs 50 39 The Safe Assignment
    Error 4 Expected class, delegate, enum, interface, or struct Form1.cs 53 17 The Safe Assignment

Your whole method block need little attention to correct syntax. There is no problem with this code, other codes are causing problems.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:23 PM
  • private void btn_setcombo_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {

{
                }

}
                else
    			{
    				btn_test.Click += (s,ev) =>   MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");
                }

• Edited by jhubbert Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:24 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:23 PM

I hope this helps.

Your whole method block need little attention to correct syntax. There is no problem with this code, other codes are causing problems.

What would I need to change?
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:29 PM
  •  private void btn_setcombo_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {

{
                }

else
    			{
    				btn_test.Click += (s,ev) =>   MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");
                }

}
    Just copy paste the whole method carefully. Its all done :)

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

wait , where is your if block ?

you have written else , but where is if block ?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:40 PM
            {

{
                }

if(//your condition)
                {
                }
                else
    			{
                }

}
    Provide condition in if block. This should work.

• Proposed as answer by JMCF125 Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:10 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:42 PM
            {

{
                }

if(//your condition)
                {
                }
                else
    			{
                }

}
    Provide condition in if block. This should work.

It does now but the InputBox from earlier in my code appears instead
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:07 PM
  • >> It does now but the InputBox from earlier in my code appears instead

Not getting exactly what you need.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:28 PM
  • >> It does now but the InputBox from earlier in my code appears instead

Not getting exactly what you need.

I meant that I want it to display the Message Box that we have just created rather than the InputBox appearing. This is my entire code

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Windows.Forms;
    using MyDialogs; //Uses the MyDialogs class

namespace The_Safe_Assignment
    {

public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            string str_safe_combo; //The string for the safe combination 

public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();

}

{

{
                }

if (BackColor == Color.Red)
                {
                }
                else
                {
                    btn_test.Click += (s, ev) => MessageBox.Show("The Safe must be unlocked before you can change the combination");
                }

}

private void btn_test_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                if (keyentry.Text == str_safe_combo)  //If the combination entered into the textbox matches the combination entered by the user
                {
                    BackColor = Color.Green; //Changes the background colour of the form to green
                    safestatus.BackColor = Color.LawnGreen; //Changes the background colour of the safe status text box to light green
                    safestatus.Text = ("Unlocked"); //Changes the text of the safe status text box so it says 'unlocked'
                    keyentry.BackColor = Color.LawnGreen; //Changes the background colour of the text box where the user tests the combination to light green
                    btn_test.Text = ("Lock"); //Changes the text of the test key button so it says 'Lock'
                    btn_test.BackColor = Color.Pink; //Changes the background colour of the text key button to pink
                    keyentry.Text = (""); //Makes the key entry text box empty for security reasons

}

else
                {
                    if (keyentry.Text != str_safe_combo)  //If the combination entered into the textbox does not match the combination previously entered by the user
                    {
                        MessageBox.Show("Combination is incorrect!"); //Displays a message to the user saying that the entered combination is incorrect
                        safestatus.Text = ("Locked"); //Changes the text of the safe status text box to 'Locked'
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:29 PM
  • I think your condition is wrong. Seeing your message box text, I think you have to use below condition,

{
         if(safestatus.Text != "Locked")
         {

{
                }

else
          {
          }
    }

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Jason Dot Wang Monday, December 24, 2012 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason Dot Wang Monday, December 31, 2012 5:10 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 5:28 AM