none
Switch from VS2010 Express to VS2010 Professional anno 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a question about wether it is possible to change from VS2010 Express to VS2010 Professional in 2014. Currently I'm still using VS2010 Express and I am ready to continue on a more professional basis. Therefore I wish to switch to VS2010 professional but that appears to be quite difficult (if not impossible) in 2014.

Could somebody explain to me if this is still possible and how I can achieve this? The VS2010 Proffesional SP1 is available on the microsoft website but the purchasing of license keys not anymore, unless I'm missing something?

The main reason for this question is that my laptop does not support VS2013 and VS2010 suites my needs just fine.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:32 PM

Answers

• I don't believe there is an "upgrade" path from express versions to professional versions. I say this because Express and Pro versions can be installed side by side on the same machine. I have an MSDN subscription, so I don't know a ton about Visual Studio pricing, but if they do have "upgrade" pricing, my guess is those prices are for upgrading from pro to pro across versions (like if you have 2010 professional, and want to get 2013 professional, you can get the upgrade). However it makes no sense that you would get upgrade pricing from the express version, because it is free, and that would mean there is no difference between full price and upgrade price if you can upgrade from a free product.

So if you DO need the features of professional and express won't cut it for your development needs anymore, then I would suggest either buying VS2013 Professional for 500 dollars

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Visual-Studio-Professional-2013/productID.284832200

or getting an MSDN subscription for $1,200

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/how-to-buy-vs

which will get you professional versions of both 2010, and 2013, and just so you know, VS2014 just hit public CTP, so expect another version of Visual Studio soon.

http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2014/06/03/visual-studio-2014-ctp.aspx

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• "The main reason for this question is that my laptop does not support VS2013 and VS2010 suites my needs just fine."

This makes no sense technically.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:51 PM
  • I have to agree with Renee, that Visual Studio 2013 should work on your laptop unless you happen to be using Windows XP or something like that. If that were the case, then your top priority should be getting a newer operating system.

As far as Visual Studio 2010 professional, you can still get copies (check amazon.com), but they tend to be insultingly expensive.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:41 PM
  • "As far as Visual Studio 2010 professional, you can still get copies (check amazon.com), but they tend to be insultingly expensive."

That is absolutely true!

I'm using a HP EliteBook 8470p with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. This is a company laptop and I'm pretty sure that's where the hickup is... worth mentioning in the first post I guess.

So the conclusion is that it is possible to upgrade to VS2010 Professional but the chance of finding the software with License etc is pretty difficult. Besides, the price for VS2013 Professional is way cheaper than VS2010 on amazon.

I'm assuming the same applies to VS2013 Express to VS2013 Professional as the upgrade of VS2013 is $200 cheaper than the full DVD. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Microsoft is morally corrupt for not supplying older versions of VS at reducing prices, including box editions. It is a bit like governments saying your not allowed to grow your own tobacco plant - you have to pay obscene prices for government taxed smokes. If I was a smoker, the injustice would make it harder to quit - not easier. That dis-empowers people.

Leon Stanley - - Hymn#263 [Courage, Brother]♪Heed no custom, school, nor fashion; Trust in God, Trust in God, Trust in God and do the right.♪ Norman Macleod 1857

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Microsoft still suplies it, however just in a package and not cheap

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/msdn-subscriptions-vs

Success
    Cor

Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:48 AM
  • That is sort of like saying all companies that don't carry all their products forever are morally corrupt. Products go discontinued all the time. Try going to a laptop maker for parts 4-5 years after that laptop was new and now is broken. You will have an easier time going on ebay to get parts to fix it than from the manufacturer. If the mfgr does carry it, it will likely cost as much as the laptop did new, or close to it.

Those interested in having the ability to get older versions of visual studio should consider an MSDN subscription. Any company doing any serious development work should have one. They you will have access to VS professional versions across multiple releases.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:42 PM
  • This ends up at VS2013. Does explain the prices though.

Anybody tried to upgrade from 2013 Express to professional?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:44 PM
  • I don't believe there is an "upgrade" path from express versions to professional versions. I say this because Express and Pro versions can be installed side by side on the same machine. I have an MSDN subscription, so I don't know a ton about Visual Studio pricing, but if they do have "upgrade" pricing, my guess is those prices are for upgrading from pro to pro across versions (like if you have 2010 professional, and want to get 2013 professional, you can get the upgrade). However it makes no sense that you would get upgrade pricing from the express version, because it is free, and that would mean there is no difference between full price and upgrade price if you can upgrade from a free product.

So if you DO need the features of professional and express won't cut it for your development needs anymore, then I would suggest either buying VS2013 Professional for 500 dollars

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Visual-Studio-Professional-2013/productID.284832200

or getting an MSDN subscription for $1,200

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/how-to-buy-vs

which will get you professional versions of both 2010, and 2013, and just so you know, VS2014 just hit public CTP, so expect another version of Visual Studio soon.

http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2014/06/03/visual-studio-2014-ctp.aspx

Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:42 PM
  • The $477AU VS2013Pro is an upgrade version. The full version cost $796AU. I think it stinks that I can't buy a VS2010Pro from Microsoft for about $400 nowadays. It is still very current.

Leon Stanley - - Hymn#263 [Courage, Brother]♪Heed no custom, school, nor fashion; Trust in God, Trust in God, Trust in God and do the right.♪ Norman Macleod 1857

• Edited by LeonCS Friday, June 6, 2014 5:47 AM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 5:46 AM