none
ListBox item width RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I'm having problems with making sure the items in my ListBox occupy the width of the ListBox. I have an ItemTemplate with a Border containing a Grid with a number of TextBoxes for fields on it. Following what I have read in other threads, I have bound the width of the Border in the ItemTemplate to the width of the containing ListBoxItem (minus a few pixels for the vertical scrollbar). That seems to work until I resize the ListBox at runtime - when I make it wider the items expand to fill the available space, but then when I make it smaller again the items do not shrink. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Ben
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:24 AM

Answers

• Ben,

A ListBox will by default have a built in horizontal scrollbar. With a scrollbar in place the ListBox will tell its content (children) that it (they) may grow to any width needed. If you don't want this behavior you should set ScrollViewer.HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Disabled" on the ListBox element, and hopefully this will solve your problem (make sure you remove any hardcoded or bound Width tags).

Tor.

Monday, March 3, 2008 3:50 AM

All replies

• You shouldn't have to set any widths programmatically. Assuming the HorizontalContentAlignment property of your ListBox is set to Stretch, the ListBoxItems within should be stretched (unless a style for the container dictates otherwish). You can verify this by seeing whether the item highlight stretches. Once you know this, it's a matter of looking at your template to ensure that no elements have their HorizontalAlignment property set to anything but Stretch - they shouldn't anyway.

If this doesn't lead you to a solution, try posting your XAML here.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:02 AM

• Code Snippet

<DataTemplate x:Key="itemTemplate">
                <Border BorderThickness="2" BorderBrush="DarkGray" CornerRadius="3" Margin="2,2,2,2" >
                    <Border.Background>
                        <LinearGradientBrush StartPoint="0,0" EndPoint="1,1">
                            <GradientStop Color="White" Offset="0.0"/>
                            <GradientStop Color="Gray" Offset="2.0"/>
                        </LinearGradientBrush>
                    </Border.Background>

<DockPanel>
                        <Label Content="{Binding Index}" Background="DarkGray" Foreground="White" FontSize="10" Width="40px" DockPanel.Dock="Left"/>

<StackPanel>
                            <Grid Margin="4,4,4,4">
                                <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                                    <ColumnDefinition Width="Auto"/>
                                    <ColumnDefinition Width="35px"/>
                                    <ColumnDefinition Width="*"/>
                                </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<Label Grid.Column="0" Margin="2,0,2,0">Field 1</Label>
                                <TextBox Text="{Binding Field1}" Grid.Column="1" Margin="0,0,0,4" TextChanged="TextBox_TextChanged"/>
                                <Label Grid.Column="2" Margin="2,0,2,0">Field 2</Label>
                                <TextBox Text="{Binding Field2}" Grid.Column="3" Margin="0,0,0,4" TextChanged="TextBox_TextChanged"/>
                            </Grid>

<Grid Margin="4,4,4,4">
                                <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<Label Grid.Column="0" Margin="2,0,2,0">Field 3</Label>
                                <TextBox Text="{Binding Field3}" Grid.Column="1" Margin="0,4,0,0" TextChanged="TextBox_TextChanged"/>
                            </Grid>
                        </StackPanel>
                    </DockPanel>
                </Border>
            </DataTemplate>

As I said, I want each item in the ListBox to be the width of the ListBox. I have HorizontalContentAlignment set to Stretch on the ListBox and this works for items where the content in the fields 2 and 3 is relatively short. However, if the content is too long the text boxes (and the panels that contain them) stretch outside the visible bounds of the ListBox to accomodate the data, rather than just clipping the text in the text boxes so only some of it is visible at a time.

The XAML above shows the Border without the binding of the Width property to the ActualWidth of the ListBox. That was suggested in other threads as a fix to this problem, but it doesn't work, because the Border expands when you grow the ListBox, but doesn't contract when you shrink it.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Anybody?
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:11 AM
  •  

Set the Width of the topmost control in your DataTemplate to the following:

{Binding ViewportWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource FindAncestor, AncestorType={x:Type ScrollViewer}}}

The width will end up being a pixel or two two big, so you'll need to turn off the horizontal scroll bar.  Worked like a charm for me.

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Ben,

A ListBox will by default have a built in horizontal scrollbar. With a scrollbar in place the ListBox will tell its content (children) that it (they) may grow to any width needed. If you don't want this behavior you should set ScrollViewer.HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Disabled" on the ListBox element, and hopefully this will solve your problem (make sure you remove any hardcoded or bound Width tags).

Tor.

Monday, March 3, 2008 3:50 AM
  • Tor,

That is a great idea and I'm kicking myself for not trying it.  Unfortunately it did not work.  The ListBoxItems still only show up with the smallest width possible.

My solution of setting the width equal to the ScrollViewer ViewportWidth does work, even if it may not be the best solution possible.

If anybody knows a better way to do it please share it with us.

Bill

Monday, March 3, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Bill,

Do you mean the ListBoxItem's content does not fill the entire width? The answer for that is as said earlier in the thread to specify HorizontalContentAlignment="Stretch" on the ListBox.

I re-did the sample Xaml that was posted and it seems to work fine with the two adjustments I made (scrollbar and content alignment).

Tor.

Monday, March 3, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Here's the slightly modified example I tested.

Tor.

--------

<Window
        xmlns="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
        xmlns:x="
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        xmlns:Local="clr-namespace:UntitledProject5"
        x:Class="UntitledProject5.Window1"
        x:Name="Window"
        Title="Window1"
        Width="640" Height="480">
      <Window.Resources>

<DataTemplate x:Key="DataTemplate1">
          <Border BorderThickness="2" BorderBrush="DarkGray" CornerRadius="3" Margin="2,2,2,2" >
            <Border.Background>
              <LinearGradientBrush StartPoint="0,0" EndPoint="1,1">
                <GradientStop Color="White" Offset="0.0"/>
                <GradientStop Color="Gray" Offset="2.0"/>
              </LinearGradientBrush>
            </Border.Background>

<DockPanel Margin="5,5,5,5" Panel.ZIndex="5" Background="#FFC89393">
              <Label Content="{Binding Id}" Background="DarkGray" Foreground="White" FontSize="10" Width="40px"
                DockPanel.Dock="Left"/>

<StackPanel>
                <Grid Margin="4,4,4,4">
                  <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                    <ColumnDefinition Width="35px"/>

<Label Grid.Column="0" Margin="2,0,2,0">Name</Label>
                  <TextBox Text="{Binding Name}" Grid.Column="1" Margin="0,0,0,4" />
                  <Label Grid.Column="2" Margin="2,0,2,0">Address</Label>
                  <TextBox Text="{Binding Address}" Grid.Column="3" Margin="0,0,0,4" />
                </Grid>

<Grid Margin="4,4,4,4">
                  <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<Label Grid.Column="0" Margin="2,0,2,0">City</Label>
                  <TextBox Text="{Binding City}" Grid.Column="1" Margin="0,4,0,0" />
                </Grid>
              </StackPanel>
            </DockPanel>
          </Border>
        </DataTemplate>
      </Window.Resources>

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot">

<ListBox IsSynchronizedWithCurrentItem="True" VerticalAlignment="Stretch"
            ItemTemplate="{DynamicResource DataTemplate1}" Background="#FFB0B799" Margin="10,10,10,10"
            HorizontalContentAlignment="Stretch" ScrollViewer.HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Disabled">
          <Local:Customer Id="100" Name="Johnny B Goode" Address="Somewhere in America" City="Software City" />
          <Local:Customer Id="100" Name="Johnny B Goode" Address="Somewhere in America" City="Software City" />
        </ListBox>
      </Grid>
    </Window>

----------

namespace UntitledProject5
    {
        public partial class Window1
     {
            public Window1()
            {
                this.InitializeComponent();
            }
     }

public class Customer
        {
            public Customer() { }

private string fAddress;
            private string fCity;
            private int fId;
            private string fName;

public string Address
            {
                get { return fAddress; }
                set { fAddress = value; }
            }

public string City
            {
                get { return fCity; }
                set { fCity = value; }
            }

public int Id
            {
                get { return fId; }
                set { fId = value; }
            }

public string Name
            {
                get { return fName; }
                set { fName = value; }
            }
        }
    }

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Tor,

That did the trick.  Setting the HorizontalContentAlignment to Stretch was what I was missing.

Bill

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Thanks for all the answers. Setting ScrollViewer.HorizontalScrollBarVisibility to Disabled worked perfectly for me.

Ben
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Just wanted to say thank you. You saved me a headache!
    Developer: Florida
    Friday, April 10, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Hi, I found that this problem is solved on .Net framework 3.5 or SP1, but it still exsits on .Net 3.0 WPF. I have tried the example code pasted in the thread, it works on .Net 3.5, not .Net 3.0. Can somebody help me to solve it on .Net 3.0 WPF??? For the customer is unhappy to install .Net 3.5 on vista for it always take a long time and failed in the end. Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:11 PM