none
PowerPoint undo stack will be clear after add customXmlParts to Slide/Shape RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Office 2010 and VS 2012.

I have a plugin of PowerPoint, if I add some custom data to shape or slide, the current undo stack will be cleared.

My code was written in C#, like bellow.

some powerpoint shape.CustomerData.Add();

I tested in VBA, also has this issue.

I'm asking is this a Microsoft Office Team bug? Can I get this work?

I believe this is broken by one of office upgrade.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Nelson,

I can reproduce the issue in Office 2010 and Office 2013.

Here are the links contain the simple code to test:

PowerPoint 2010: Use Custom XML Data Using PPT.CustomerDataDemo

CustomerData.Add Method (PowerPoint)

After running 'Shape.CustomerData.Add', we can't undo even though we can undo before.

I also found the similar behaviour in Excel. For example if I delete any worksheet, I also can't undo.

It seems it is a feature in Office. I suppose that while using some specific features, Office is uncertain which is the last operation, so the undo is disabled.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Hi Nelson,

I could repro the issue with the following VBA

ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Shapes(1).CustomerData.Add

We have Object Method calls which clear undo stacks for example Protect/unprotect in Excel is one of them. As far as the current scenario goes, this looks to be an expected behavior.

Thanks

Sangeeth

Sangeeth,MSFT

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Nelson,

Could you please specify the PowerPoint 2010 version including the build number? Do you have all the latest updates and service packs installed for PowerPoint? Do you have Office 2010 x64 or x86 installed on the PC?

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:30 AM
  • I have two computer with the following info, both of them have this issue.

Windows 7 SP1 with Office 64-bit, version 14.0.7116.5000

Windows 8.1 with Office 32-bit, version 14.0.7116.5000

Thanks,

Nelson

Friday, March 28, 2014 12:48 AM
  • Hi Nelson,

I can reproduce the issue in Office 2010 and Office 2013.

Here are the links contain the simple code to test:

PowerPoint 2010: Use Custom XML Data Using PPT.CustomerDataDemo

CustomerData.Add Method (PowerPoint)

After running 'Shape.CustomerData.Add', we can't undo even though we can undo before.

I also found the similar behaviour in Excel. For example if I delete any worksheet, I also can't undo.

It seems it is a feature in Office. I suppose that while using some specific features, Office is uncertain which is the last operation, so the undo is disabled.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Hi Nelson,

I could repro the issue with the following VBA

ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Shapes(1).CustomerData.Add

We have Object Method calls which clear undo stacks for example Protect/unprotect in Excel is one of them. As far as the current scenario goes, this looks to be an expected behavior.

Thanks

Sangeeth

Sangeeth,MSFT

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for you reply.

Can you tell me which package add this "feature"? I want to know the exactly KBXXXX number. So that we can uninstall this package to get our plugin works.

Thank you very much!

Nelson

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Hi Nelson,

As far as I know, I'm afraid it is by design in Excel.

This feature is not in any package. It is existing after you install Office.

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:31 AM