none
SAP F# Type Provider RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in SAP F# Type Provider. Anyone doing any work with type providers for SAP or other ERP Type systems? 

Currently I use SAP .NET Connector 3.0 and C# to access the SAP data. After watching Build F# talk, Type providers seems to be very powerful and easy to use. 

Thanks,

Niranjan

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:34 PM

All replies

• there is already a ADO.NET Data Provider for SAP:

so you should have this but it might be a interessting project I would be willing to participate.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Here are the current connectivity options from SAP

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAPConn/ABAP+Connectivity+Home

The one you are suggesting is a 3rd party tool. 

Here is a link that gives little more details of the .Net Connector provided by SAP.

http://scn.sap.com/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2011/01/14/a-spotlight-on-the-new-net-connector-30

Using it requires good understanding SAP RFCs, SAP Input and Output data types and how to link the pieces of information if gives back. Lot of plumbing work is required before data is useful in a business context for each set of data.

SAP also is active on the oData side, I have not used it. 

I know SAP has lot of metadata. I am not sure if that is useful to get Type Provider that makes the data available for consumption with out the need for lot of plumbing code.

Thanks 

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Yes I agree - we used to work with sap connector till there where problems with the support for newer versions of visual studio and SAP internals mentioned to us that SAP is going to cancel support for this (at this time it was considered as a *cheap* way to rob SAP of it's user-licences) - we now currently use ERPConnect for our internal applications.

I did not check the newer versions of SAP connector but it seems to be getting more interesting again (you don't need the librfc32.dll in the right version (32/64 bit OS) anymore right?).

This is why I mentioned that I would be willing to participate in any OpenSource project to implement something like a type-provider for SAP - but I guess the licencing and legal stuff with SAP will be rather ... interesting

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I think Open Source Project is an interesting idea. I started using SAP .NET connector 3.0 trying to write sort of a mash-up app using data from SAP HR, Dynamics CRM and Enterprise Sales Commission Application with Jquery Mobile.

With Mobile application revolution that is going on, I see a greater need for programming ecosystem to expose the enterprise data seamlessly. Currently they are very silo-ed data sets that require disparate data access technologies. Most of the ERP vendors are creating their own set of mobile applications that are narrow.

I want to use the SAP Type providers discussion to ask about the possibility of a Microsoft initiative to encourage ERP vendors to produce F# Type Providers.  This may create an opportunity for F# to enter in to the general purpose Enterprise Application development in a big way. Any thoughts?

Handful of ERP applications will cover most of the installations, I think.

Regards,

Niranjan 

• Edited by NR_TX Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:14 AM
  • I'd also be interested in this initiative. I've already worked with oData (using netweaver gateway) + SAP + some F# stuff to create sample sets, and since its oData it should work directly with the oData F# Type Provider. If you plan to open up a github source, add me in too!

-Fahad

Fahad

Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

>> or other ERP Type systems

I wrote two blog posts about access to Dynamics NAV:

1. http://www.navision-blog.de/2013/01/04/fsharp-and-dynamics-nav-2013-odata-services/
    2. http://www.navision-blog.de/2013/01/03/fsharp-and-dynamics-nav-2009-web-services/

Cheers,

Steffen

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:40 PM