none
Please change the name of Visual Basic = B#

Question

• Hello Folks,

The future of Visual basic is in danger. Please change the name of Visual Basic to B#. After the dotNet everything is same but there is a misconception, people believe that C# can do a lot better than Visual Basic but that's not true.

Please forward my suggestion to the Visual Studio marketing department and all Visual Basic lovers, please support and spread out this message "Visual Basic = B#"

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:25 AM

All replies

• Please forward my suggestion to the Visual Studio marketing department and all Visual Basic lovers, please support and spread out this message "Visual Basic = B#"

Why can't you do it since you are so concerned about it? How about a grassroots movement with you being the #1 spokes person?

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:06 AM
  • If you want to tell Microsoft this then there is a button in the top right hand corner of Visual Studio.

No matter how much you like working with VB.NET, changing it's name is not going to change a thing. VB.NET is not going away anytime soon (classic vb is still here yet is per-say a dead language) yet there will be features it will lack mainly because of it's origins from classic Visual Basic. C# 6 and C# 7 has shown this to be true.

To be a professional developer today and into the future one must know how to code in a handful of programming languages rather than use a hammer (in this case vb.net) to do all coding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:06 AM
  • Hello Folks,

The future of Visual basic is in danger. Please change the name of Visual Basic to B#. After the dotNet everything is same but there is a misconception, people believe that C# can do a lot better than Visual Basic but that's not true.

Please forward my suggestion to the Visual Studio marketing department and all Visual Basic lovers, please support and spread out this message "Visual Basic = B#"

Thank you.

Here is the solution, adapt it for everything:

Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Public Class Form1
        <DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError:=True, CharSet:=CharSet.Auto)>
        Public Shared Function SetWindowText(hWnd As IntPtr, lpString As String) As Boolean
        End Function

<DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError:=True)>
        Private Shared Function FindWindow(lpClassName As String, lpWindowName As String) As IntPtr
        End Function

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim hWnd As IntPtr = FindWindow(Nothing, Me.Text)
            If hWnd <> IntPtr.Zero Then
                SetWindowText(hWnd, "Microsoft B#")
            End If

hWnd = FindWindow(Nothing, "Untitled - Notepad")
            If hWnd <> IntPtr.Zero Then
                SetWindowText(hWnd, "Notepad - Microsoft B#")
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Dim hWnd As IntPtr = FindWindow(Nothing, "Untitled - Notepad")
            If hWnd = IntPtr.Zero Then
                Process.Start("Notepad")
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:02 PM
  • There is no B sharp in music, just a B flat.

Solitaire

Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:06 PM

Solitaire

Well...  how about A# instead.  Everybody likes A's.  8)

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:34 PM

Solitaire

Well...  how about A# instead.  Everybody likes A's.  8)

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:28 PM
  • You are about 15 years too late. All of the conversations concerning Classic VB or VBA and Visual Basic .NET have been had. The name will not change now.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:36 PM
  • I like G#  --  Good, Golly, Great, Gosh, Gadzooks!

Solitaire

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:04 PM