none
XDesProc.exe issues (multiple process with high memory consumption) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Why do I have multiple XDesProc.exe? It happens all the time, I need to kill them from task menager, because they consume HUGE amounts of memory. 

More info:

1. 1 instance of VS 2017, WPF project

2. Happens multiple times/8 hours of work

3. Up to 3 instances of XDesProc.exe

4. Doesn't release itself (never), I always have to kill it manually.

5. Started to happen Dec 2018/Jan 2019

And how do I fix this? 

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

The XAML Designer triggers the XDescProc.exe process to start up in the background.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/a-significant-update-to-the-xaml-designer/

If you have 3 projects opened in visual studio, there will be three XDesProc.exe process in task manager. Maybe you could open the xaml file with "Source Code (Text) Editor", as far as I know, the XAML Designer and XAML Designer with Encoding will both trigger the XDescProc.exe process.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:16 AM
  • What's important, it started to happen 1-2 months ago. I was working whole year on this machine, without any issues like that. 

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please open visual studio in safe mode, open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxxxx\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode.

Create a new wpf project and check if the issue persists. If it works and it looks like this issue caused by the extensions or you need to remove the installed extensions under Tools—Extensions and Updates.

Meanwhile, click Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset All visual studio Settings, please export the current settings before doing this. 

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 1, 2019 7:58 AM