none
Fonts change size after changing to another app RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in - please direct me to the right one if it isnt.

I'm having some problems with my C# winforms app. (.NET 2.0, VS 2008).

One of my users is reporting that sometimes when he flicks to another application and back, my applications fonts have changed. This primarily happens when an email is generated out of my app (opens up a new message in outlook), but sometimes happens without this - just flicking between apps (alt-tab)

What could be causing this?

Thanks.

Sunday, April 3, 2011 12:34 AM

All replies

• Hi fweeee,

Thank you for posting.

After I checked your post, I think your provided information is unclear. There are many factors can caused your issues. So we need to get more detailed information for your project or your issue.

Was your project related with Office project or not?

Did your concern occur on other Windows OS’s?

Have the client machine installed other add-ins to make your application out of order?

Could you please descript your question more detail?

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 4, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Thanks Larcolais,

My project is not related to office. It is a database application. When it communications with outlook, it is doing so via standard MAPI automation.

The problem does not occur for me (I'm using 64 bit windows 7). It is happening for one of my users, who uses windows XP, SP3.

I'm not sure about what else the user has installed that could be causing this. I know they have the crystal reports redistributable installed (necessary for my app).

Should I try to get a listing of the apps installed on the users machine?

Monday, April 4, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Is this MAPI automation application a separate one or tied up with other applications? AFAIK, I don’t think two different processes can be allowed to communicate one another. I think you can check what was occurred when the first application’s focus was lost or other scenarios. You can use Process Monitor to get some helpful information.

In addition, could you please create a new simple MAPI automation application to test if this issue is occurred or not?

If you have any finding, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:27 AM
  • The mapi is the standard windows mail automation that comes with windows. I dont have the code in front of me right now, but I'm not calling a specific other application - just using a standard windows library.

Its difficult to use a process monitor - this is happening on a users machine, not any development machine.

Also, creating a sample application to reproduce this is not that feasable either - the error is on a clients machine, not mine.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Upon a bit more questioning, the user revealed that the problem mainly (or only?) happens when sending a report via email, using a button on the print preview window of a third party reporting tool (DevExpress- XtraReports). Getting accurate information out of these people is next to impossible.

Maybe I should approach the vendor of these tools about this issue. (or at least post on their forums).

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Without your being able to reproduce the behavior locally, it will be difficult to provide any serious debugging suggestions.  You can attack this in a few ways, depending on how closely this client is willing to work with you on the problem.

Take the following with a grain of salt however, since it really sounds like the 3rd party applications are somehow at fault.

1 - Request a physical or virtual machine from the client that they can send to you so that you can see/debug the problem locally.

2 - Request specific steps from the customer (including which specific software to install) for setting up an XP machine that reproduces the problem, which you can then debug locally.

3 - As you suggested, contact the 3rd party app developers and ask them if they are aware of anything they are doing that could cause this.  Are they sending/broadcasting messages to other windows (such as your app's windows)?  Are they adding or removing fonts?  Are they mucking around with localization settings?  Are they modifying the registry?

Finally (or maybe first?), as a possible workaround, perhaps you can specifically set your font (back) to the desired font whenever your app is activated.

bill boyce
    Friday, April 8, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Without your being able to reproduce the behavior locally, it will be difficult to provide any serious debugging suggestions. 

Thanks. I knew it would be quite difficult to track this down manually. I was kind of hoping that someone might be able to tell me that this rare problem might be x, y or z. I guess this is not the case. I'm going to try to hassle the user into doing some experiments for me. Quite difficult - they think I should just be fixing it for them.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

You also might want to check out options to check out through support. you will get more in depth level into the problems.

There are various support options such as advisory and per issue. Please visit the below link to see the various paid

support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

bill boyce
    Monday, April 11, 2011 2:54 PM