none
compiling for .Net 3.5 Framework not works RRS feed

• Question

• I have compiled my project for 3.5 Framework ( couse I want to let windows 7 users to work with my programm without any else installations )

But when I have tried to run my application on Windows XP with installed .Net 2.0 and 3.5 Frameworks there was thrown an error.

Then I have tried to run my application on Windows XP with .Net 4.0 installed. It has shown my a message that .Net 2.0 is needed

And only when I have compiled my application for 4.0 Framework it has works on Windows XP with .Net 4.0 Framework

Why? May be Win XP is not so friendly to .Net 3.5?

When I have previously wrote WinForms programms for .Net 2.0 they have perfectly working on .Net 3.0 and 3.5 and also on 4.0 ....

• Moved by Min Zhu Friday, June 24, 2011 2:02 AM framework setup (From:Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF))
    • Moved by Andrew.WuModerator Friday, June 24, 2011 2:49 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• When you install .NET 3.5 Framework, .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 also get installed. So application created in .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0 and .NET 3.5 will work. But .NET 4.0 Framework doesn't include lower version framework. So you need to seperately installed required framework.

What error you got on Windows XP System with installed .Net 2.0 and 3.5 Frameworks?

Gaurav Khanna

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi Programmer Sommer,

Have you resolved the problem?

In case you have resolved the problem, could you please post the answer? It will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions.

Thanks you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:03 AM
  • I have tried to download offline installer of 3.5 Framework. Have install it on the separate computer and application, which was compiled for 3.5 has starts.

But on PC on which I have test my application previously it doesn't starts. I have there installed:

.Net 2.0 SP1 ( size 185 Mb ) + language pack

.Net 3.0 SP1 ( size 245 MB ) + language pack

.Net 3.5 ( size only 33 Mb )

I think that I haven't installed client profile, but it's looks like so... Will try language pack now. And tomorrow wil try simple application ( to be sure that I have no errors in my app )

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Hi Programmer Sommer,

So the current problem we are going to resolve is that your application which target .NET Framework 3.5 cannot run on a XP machine. Is this correct?

Could you please tell us the details of that error message which shows up when you run the application?

Also, I have moved this thread to the Setup forum where you can get better support.

Best regards,

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Hi Programmer Sommer,

The .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 are actually one framework, they includes the same CLR version 2. The .NET Framework 2,0 is the base, full, framework, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. And the .NET Framework 4.0 is a full framework includes new CLR version 4. So installing .NET Framework 4.0 in Windows XP will not resolve this problem.

In order to resolve this issue, please download and install the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 in Windows XP, then your application should be run on Windows XP correctly.

For more information, please see:

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Thank you for answers.

I have tried simple applications that where compiled for 3.5 - and they are working perfectly.

As I have found in links " The SP1 update added the .NET Framework Client Profile, Dynamic Data, and a small set of additional enhancements"

So, - it seems that 3.5 without SP1 not included client profile and dynamic data + what else. So my application needs 3.5 SP1

I'v decide to make one compilation for Windows 7 ( for 3.5 Framework ) and another compilation for XP, Vista ( for 4.0 Framework )

For XP and Vista may be I will make a Setup file or may by just let users self to download .Net 4.0

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:32 AM
  • According to my knowledge, VS 2010 uses .NET 3.5SP1 when you targeting to .NET 3.5. So you'll need to apply the SP1 for .NET Framework 3.5. This explains why winxp + .net 3.5 throws error.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:42 AM