none
Lightswitch project in TFS (Team Fundation Server) question RRS feed

• Question

• I use Lightswitch and my project is integrated with TFS (Team Fundation Server).

Curently I am the only developer and I just check in my work on a regular basis. I know that the application definition file (the LSML file) is just a XAML file (which is a special case of XML).

But I have a problem, the basis that I work with is Screens, but all the screens' definition is stored in a single file e.g. Client.lsml, right? Assume I have 3 screens: Screen 1, Screen 2 and Screen 3. Assume I worked on Screen 1 and I do not like the new Screen design and want to restore from the server to the last version I checked in TFS. But I can not restore the Client.lsml, because I did some work on Screen 2 and 3 and want to keep them locally.

The problem is caused by the different granuality of projects in Visual Studio e.g. Screens and the Application definition file (LSML). How to solve the problem? Any idea?  The problem will be more serious if many developers work and check-in projects.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Andy 

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Which version of LightSwitch are you using VS2010/2011? The 'lsml' files have been split for some time in VS2012 and VS2013 so each screen has its own 'lsml' file precisely for the sort of problem that you mention.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:43 AM
  • Dave,

thanks a lot for your reply.

I use VS2012 and LightSwitch Extension 1.0. But I cannot see the split, neither in File View nor in the Project Folder. Any configuration for split?  

Andy

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:59 AM
  • Back in Nov 2012 the changes arrived as Microsoft Office Developer Tools, an extra install for VS2012 and integral to VS2013.

Here is the original announcement Announcing LightSwitch HTML Client Preview 2!

So on your VS version you need those tools. I would strongly recommend moving to VS2013 even if it is the latest Community Edition (in which LightSwitch is free).

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Hi, Dave

thanks for your recommendation. But unfortunately we have to stay with VS2012 and not able to upgrade to VS2013.

I checked the web link you provided me but I could not find the information that describes the split so that each screen has its own 'lsml' file. Can you please tell me where, maybe also the patch for VS2012 that I can install to realize the split function.

Thanks a lot.  

Andy

Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:52 AM
  • Hi Andy,

The link at the bottom of that blog post Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio - Preview 2 downloads -> OfficeToolsForVS2012GA.exe which I think is what you need. After that I cannot remember the state of updates with VS2012 but you ought to apply the latest updates if possible which may include updates to the Office developer tools.

Dave

Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:03 AM