UserName and Password validation only RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm trying to make an application that uses security features.

There are quite a number of samples too.

What I'd like to do is just to use UserName and Password only. Say, you get the username and password, compare them to the database, and then authenticate. I'm not familiar with security mechanisms but it seems like every single sample uses x.509 certificate when using username and password validation.

So if anyone can give me a sample of UserName and Password validation only, that would be great.

Also, I want to study on x.509 certificate. How it works and how I can make a certification and stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:42 AM

Answers

• Have you looked at the SDK sample TechnologySamples\Extensibility\Security\UserNamePasswordValidator ?

The certificate that's required there is for the server to authenticate at the client side (or at least to sign/encrpt the data that's sent), since security is a mutual thing, of course. You don't want to be talking to a phony server and of course the server doesn't have a password to give you....
    Friday, August 25, 2006 5:51 PM

All replies

• Have you looked at the SDK sample TechnologySamples\Extensibility\Security\UserNamePasswordValidator ?

The certificate that's required there is for the server to authenticate at the client side (or at least to sign/encrpt the data that's sent), since security is a mutual thing, of course. You don't want to be talking to a phony server and of course the server doesn't have a password to give you....
    Friday, August 25, 2006 5:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply However, under the TechnologySamples\Extensibility\Security folder, I have only,  AuthorizationPolicy, CustomToken, SupportingTokens, TokenAuthenticator, TokenProvider only, I don't see the Username Password Validation sample.

I'm pretty sure, I'm using June CTP. Any idea?

Monday, August 28, 2006 1:10 AM
  • current CTP and SDK is July, not June
    Monday, August 28, 2006 11:41 AM
  • Oh, I didn't realize that there's july ctp.

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:16 AM