none
winfx installation

Question

• Hi,

I installed WinFx February CTP but the setup did not install any items in Start Menu. I can not find samples, tutorials, or any readme. By using FileMonitor I saw that the installation files are placed in %Windows%\WinFx\v3.0.

I could not find the svcutil tool anywhere on my computer.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Martin Kulov

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:53 PM

Answers

• I think they combined windows sdk and winfx sdk,so this link will install windows sdk+winfx sdk(we don't need to install windows sdk separately)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9BE1FC7F-0542-47F1-88DD-61E3EF88C402&displaylang=en

SDK INSTALLATION DOCUMENTATION

The Windows SDK contains pre-release documentation, samples, and tools designed to help you develop Windows applications and libraries using both Win32® and WinFX® technologies in Windows Vista.

I installed FEB CTP on 2003 machine,Svcutil and all other tools are located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v1.0\Bin

I don't know much about winfx installation, but this is the way I understood why they created Fidalgo and windows sdk dependency:

1. We need winfx runtime to run WCF apps, so we installed winfx runtime

1. To develop wcf apps, we need VS.NET, but current VS.NET don't have any idea about WCF assemblies, Fidalgo will add all WCF references to VS.NET (Make VS.net aware of wcf assemblies)

1. svcutil and all other tools will be useful development time, so they integrated all these tools in winfx sdk(part of windows sdk, we don't need these tools on production box)

1. I am guessing VS.NET Add service reference might be using svcutil functionality, so they are making sure windows sdk installed, and this tool is available (I know VS.NET dependency on Windows sdk doesn't make much sense for me, but they are planning to integrate all these tools better in orcas(Next version of VS.NET) .

I will check with VS.NET team and I will try to give you more info why Fidalgo has to depends on Windows sdk

-Thank you

Madhu

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

Did you installed Windows SDK for wcf also,all these tools are part of winfx sdk

I documented FEB CTP installation steps here

http://blogs.msdn.com/madhuponduru/archive/2006/02/22/537622.aspx

-Thank you

Madhu

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:02 PM
  • Madhu,

I read your post before, but it does not make any sense to me. How come the installation of Windows SDK would create Start Menu items for the WinFx given the fact that WinSDK should be installed after the WinFx SDK.

What is the purpose of the WinSDK? I tried to install Fidalgo, but it says it need WinSDK. May be the WinSDK is only needed if you want to install the Fidalgo. Why should I need to install it in order to create WCF services? Is the svcutil tool contained in the WinSDK?

Thanks,

Martin

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:11 PM
  • I think they combined windows sdk and winfx sdk,so this link will install windows sdk+winfx sdk(we don't need to install windows sdk separately)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9BE1FC7F-0542-47F1-88DD-61E3EF88C402&displaylang=en

SDK INSTALLATION DOCUMENTATION

The Windows SDK contains pre-release documentation, samples, and tools designed to help you develop Windows applications and libraries using both Win32® and WinFX® technologies in Windows Vista.

I installed FEB CTP on 2003 machine,Svcutil and all other tools are located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v1.0\Bin

I don't know much about winfx installation, but this is the way I understood why they created Fidalgo and windows sdk dependency:

1. We need winfx runtime to run WCF apps, so we installed winfx runtime

1. To develop wcf apps, we need VS.NET, but current VS.NET don't have any idea about WCF assemblies, Fidalgo will add all WCF references to VS.NET (Make VS.net aware of wcf assemblies)

1. svcutil and all other tools will be useful development time, so they integrated all these tools in winfx sdk(part of windows sdk, we don't need these tools on production box)

1. I am guessing VS.NET Add service reference might be using svcutil functionality, so they are making sure windows sdk installed, and this tool is available (I know VS.NET dependency on Windows sdk doesn't make much sense for me, but they are planning to integrate all these tools better in orcas(Next version of VS.NET) .

I will check with VS.NET team and I will try to give you more info why Fidalgo has to depends on Windows sdk

-Thank you

Madhu

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:52 PM
  • Madhu,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I see the confusion now. All the time I thought that I had to install WinFx runtime (which I did) and WinFx SDK (which I thought was installed from the link that you have provided). The fact is that I need to install WinSDK which included WinFx SDK (I was missing that part) and needing it to develop app for WCF makes pretty much sense to me. The things got messy when the setup obviously did not install the WinSDK,  but only the runtime located in %Windows%\WinFX, and I was unaware of all these issues.

Now I am downloading WinSDK adn will give it a shot. Couple of things, that I have to complain though. Just as I downloaded the latest WinSDK from MSDN Subscriptions I found that it is for the December CTP of WinFX. There is no new version of WinSDK there, though the February version is available for public download.

Also the documentation of WinSDK states that I should remove all other Platform SDK [1]. Is this a requirement or just a proposal? I understand that I should remove any other prerelease versions of WinSDK, but removing the original Platform SDK is too much to ask for.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9BE1FC7F-0542-47F1-88DD-61E3EF88C402&displaylang=en

"We recommend installing this edition on clean, non-production machines. Please completely uninstall any previous pre-releases of Windows and WinFX or previous releases of Windows SDK or WinFX SDK, and their dependencies, before installing this release. These older components may interfere with this edition, causing setup to fail, or breaking functionality of some installed components."

Any way I like the idea for separating WinFx SDK very much if it is possible.

Thanks,

Martin

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:31 AM