none
Visual Studio error "The expression for the data breakpoint does not specify an address" whenever user clicks on "Break when value changes" RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a custom debug engine and I am able to get the option "Break when value changes" to pop up on the context menu for watch variables but whenever the user clicks on the option, it brings up a Microsoft Visual Studio error dialog with the following : "The expression for the data breakpoint does not specify an address." 

Any ideas of what interface I may be missing on implementing or what information to pass along to the SDM?

It tries calling this interface whenever a user right clicks on a watch variable, IDebugProperty2::GetMemoryContext which I believe I'm passing the right info. 

For some context, I was able to get the option to show up by passing this enum_DBG_ATTRIB_FLAGS.DBG_ATTRIB_DATA to the dwAttrib field of the DEBUG_PROPERTY_INFO struct of the IDebugProperty2::GetPropertyInfo interface function call. This might not be the right way so if I'm doing this wrong too please let me know.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi ochavez7,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

You could try IDebugPendingBreakpoint2::Enable to create a breakpoint for your debugger. And we recommend you could read more about VS debugger api here: Create a breakpoint.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:42 AM
  • I was able to figure it out by experimenting with some interfaces in the documentation, which unfortunately don't mention you need to implement the following interface for the required feature. I needed to implement the IDebugProperty158 interface on our IDebugProperty2 implementation so that I could define the GetDataBreakpointInfo method which was the only thing stopping the SDM from getting this feature to work (the rest of the breakpoint enabling/creating logic was already set up).
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Hi ochavez7,

Thank you for reply.

To provide better support for you, I have escalated it, and if there is any response, we will post it here in time, thank you for understanding and impatience.

Best Regards,

Dylan  

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, November 8, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi ochavez7,

Sorry for bothering you.

Is there any update about it? If possible, we will appreciate that you could share a sample of custom engine to help us reproduce this issue, which could help us analysis it better.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:00 AM