none
Issue installing VSTO on Windows 7 with Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I wonder if anybody can help me with this
    I'm trying to install an Excel add-in called NodeXL on a machine running Windows 7 and Excel 2010 but am getting a fatal error when I try to install Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1

One of the NodeXL developers has commented:

"I don't know why VSTO won't install, although it's a safe bet that it's related you your particular corporate Windows 7 build. We've had a number of problems with getting VSTO installed and working in corporate environments, particularly when an IT department has "locked down" the computers for security reasons. I haven't had much luck getting past these problems, and from what I've gathered by searching the Web, I'm not alone.

My suggestion is to post a question on the Visual Studio Tools for Office forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/threads, which is monitored by the people at Microsoft who are responsible for this particular piece of software. Perhaps someone there has a clue about what's going on with your computers. The points that will be relevant for them are that 1) the message "Process exited with code 1603" appears in the install log when a client setup program attempts to install vstor30.exe; and 2) when you attempt to manually install vstor30.exe, you get the weird rollback message you just posted"

Many thanks in anticipation

All the best

Julian

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:27 AM

Answers

• After trying a few suggestions to fix this problem.  Julian has confirmed following approach resolved it:

1. Uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 (Client Profile, Extended, and Multiple-targeting pack)
    2. Turn off .NET 35 in OS feature (Turn Windows Features On or Off)
    3. Re-enable .NET 35 in OS feature;
    4. Install VSTOR V3.
    5. Reinstall .NET 4.0

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Julian,

are you in an enterprise environment?Do you run a 64-Bit Version of Windows?
    Do you have local Administrative rights on your computer?
    Do you have the UAC-Control enabled?
    What Version of Excel/Office do you have installed?
    What .Net Framework runtime Version is installed on your computer?

Greets - Helmut 

Helmut Obertanner [http://www.obertanner.de] [http://www.outlooksharp.de]

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Helmut

Many thanks for suggestions; much appreciated. The answers to your questions are:

• It's an enterprise environment but we're not running 64-bit
    • I have local Admin rights
    • I've tried with UAC-enabled and disabled. In each case VSTOR30.exe rolls back (ie, it gets near the end and then uninstalls automatically). I've tried running vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe but get a message "none of the products addressed by this update are installed on this computer"
    • Excel / Office version is 14.0.6029.1000
    • .NET Framework versions installed are 3.5 1033,1036 and 3082 and 4 Client 1033

Once again, many thanks

Best regards

Julian

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Hi Julian,

I suspect that the addin was designed targetting Office 2007/2003, is it?  I made this assumption because for addins designed targetting Office 2010, VSTO runtime version should be 4.0; VSTO runtime 3.0 is with VS 2008 which can design addins targets Office 2007/2003. VSTO runtime 3.0 is not expected to work with Office 2010. Before you install the addin, please clarify following with the addin developer, these should be part of addin installation instruction:

1. Which VSTO runtime is required to run the addin?
    2. Which Office version is required?  Office PIAs are necessary to run addins.
    3. Which .NET Framework is required?

Regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi Forrest

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but our experience is that VSTOR30.exe will load on some Windows 7 builds but not others. So far we've been able to load it onto two desktop PCs and a HP laptop. My laptop (Dell) has been rebuilt to see if that would overcome the problem. Unfortunately, it hasn't.

NodelXL, which is designed to run with Excel 2007 and 2010, requires:

• .NET framework 3.5 SP1
    • Office 2007 primary interop assemblies
    • VSTOR 3.0 Runtime SP1

I can send you the install log if that would be of any use. The error code when it fails is 1603

Many thanks for your help; much appreciated

All the best

Julian

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hi, Julian

In your earlier reply, you mentioned ".NET Framework versions installed are 3.5 1033,1036 and 3082 and 4 Client 1033" Did you installed both French and Spanish .NET 35language pack? this is confusing and suspicious. Not to mention, Windows 7 installs .NET35.

Please also verify the VSTO 3.0 runtime installs well on computer. It should be in Add/Remove Program panel.  Also, vstoee.dll version should be checked at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VSTO\

If it's not resolved, Please share the log, if it's large, then share on Skydrive, otherwise you may post log here.

regards,

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Hi Forrest

The reason different language packs have been installed is because it's a corporate build of Windows 7. I am based in the UK

When you say "VSTO 3.0 runtime" I assume you're referring to VSTOR30.exe. It is this which is failing and the install log is shown below

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 6.0.0 {version}
    Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
    The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
    Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
    Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1', phase BuildList
    Reading value 'SP' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5'
    Read integer value 1
    Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNet35SP'
    The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1':
    Property: [DotNet35SP] = 1 {int}
    Running checks for command 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'DotNet35SP' and value '1': true
    Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe' is 'Bypass'
    '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command 'C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\Office2007PIARedist\ComponentCheck.exe' and parameters ''
    Process exited with code 1
    Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'PIAInstallAction'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies':
    Property: [PIAInstallAction] = 1 {int}
    Running checks for command 'Office2007PIARedist\o2007pia.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'PIAInstallAction' and value '0': true
    Result of checks for command 'Office2007PIARedist\o2007pia.msi' is 'Bypass'
    'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1', phase BuildList
    Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.21022'
    Unable to read registry value
    Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled'
    Reading value 'Update' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v3'
    Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1':
    Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' is 'Install'
    Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' is 'Install'
    'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    EULA for components 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' was accepted.
    Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\"
    Downloading files to "C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\"
    (22/03/2012 13:56:36) Downloading 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' from 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=95146' to 'C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\'
    Download completed at 22/03/2012 13:56:37
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30.exe
    WinVerifyTrust returned 0
    File trusted
    (22/03/2012 13:56:37) Downloading 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' from 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=120187' to 'C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\'
    Download completed at 22/03/2012 13:56:37
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe
    File trusted
    Running checks for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1', phase BeforePackage
    Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.21022'
    Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled'
    Reading value 'Update' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v3'
    Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1':
    Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled' was not defined
    Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' is 'Install'
    Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled' was not defined
    Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' is 'Install'
    'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30.exe
    File trusted
    Installing using command 'C:\Users\DZY82F\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD2E42.tmp\VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' and parameters ' /q:a /c:"install /q /l"'
    Process exited with code 1603
    Status of package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' after install is 'InstallFailed'

There is no Program Files (x86) folder as we're only running a 32-bit implementation of Windows 7 but vstoee.dll is present at C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\VSTO\ and Windows 7 is pointing correctly to this as being the location for common files

Many thanks for all your help

All the best

Julian

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Hi, Julian

From the log we can tell:

1. Components check for 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies' failed. I suspect if the addin could run well with Office 2010. It's necessary to test this before you publish the addin.
    2. vstor30.exe installation fails with error code 1603. The error code is quite a general one that hardly tell people more information. 
    3. By the fact that you see vstoee.dll present (and the 9.0 folder at same location) I suspect vstor30 has been installed on the computer. But for unknown reason, Windows Installer could not detect the components and registry set by it. So it's trying to reinstall vstor30. 

Would you double check your setup project and make VSTOR3.0 as prerequisite, and create Launch Condition for VSTOR3.0 SP1. To create launch condition, you can refer to figure 11 and figure 12 at this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc563937.aspx#VSTO3SolutionPart1_CreatingaBasicInstaller A setup project sample could also be found there.

regards,

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Hi Forrest

Actually, I'm not the developer. The addin had its beginnings in a Microsoft research project and is an open-source template for Microsoft® Excel® 2007 and 2010 to explore network graphs.

I was advised by tcap479 at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/22353, who didn't know why I was have a problem installing VSTOR30.exe, to "post a question on the Visual Studio Tools for Office forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/threads, which is monitored by the people at Microsoft who are responsible for this particular piece of software".

I've posted a note to him to see if the setup project follows the suggestions you've made

All the best

Julian

Friday, March 23, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi Forrest

This is the response I've had from tcap479

tcap479 wrote Fri at 7:30 PM

Yes, the NodeXL setup project includes a prerequisite for VSTOR3.0 SP1.

The problem is that VSTOR3.0 SP1 will not install on your computer, whether it is done automatically for you as part of the NodeXL setup program (which happens because the setup program includes the prerequisite), or when you try to do it manually.

-- Tony

All the best

Julian

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi, Julian

I don't think the above reply is accurate: as prerequisite, we can only select VSTOR 3.0. You could create VSTO solution in VS2008 to try this. But VSTOR 3.0 sp1 should be launch condition, and install per our demand.

Most importantly, I think this issue is specific to that machine.  The fact that VSTOR 3.0 install launch on some machines, which indicates corrupts of that computer.  You may look into the fact that vstoee.dll and vsto folder exists.

I think that the computer in corporation might be setup OS based on a existing OS image, which has vstor installed before.

best regards,

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Hi Forrest

The developer disagrees with your conclusions (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/22353).

Please can you let me know how I can check if vstor has been installed before and, if so, how to uninstall it?

Many thanks

All the best

Julian

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Hi Julian,

I agree with the author, the addin is good. The issue has nothing to do with any VSTO addin. As prerequisite, VSTO runtime could not be installed on that machine.

There're serveral ways to verify if VSTO runtime installed:

1. Go to Control Panel, in Add Remove Program list, you can find entry of vsto runtime;
    2. Go to registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node*\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.30729  if this key exist, it indicates VSTO runtime v3 installed before.
    3. Go to folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\vsto\9.0\ if this folder exist, VSTOInstaller.exe should be there. This indicates VSTO runtime v3 installed.

Keep up digging, get to know more about your machine, that helps figure out the problem.

best regards,

Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hi Forrest

Many thanks for your note.

The answers to the things you asked me to check are:

1. No entry for vsto runtime in Add Remove Program list
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node*\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.30729 is not present in the registry
    3. Folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\vsto\9.0\ does not exist

All the best

Julian

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi Julian,

Would you send me message at forrestg@microsoft I have an internal troubleshooting tool which could be helpful. Also, please make sure you have admin privilege on this comupter.

thanks,

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:06 PM
  • After trying a few suggestions to fix this problem.  Julian has confirmed following approach resolved it:

1. Uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 (Client Profile, Extended, and Multiple-targeting pack)
    4. Install VSTOR V3.
    5. Reinstall .NET 4.0

best regards,

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:31 AM

4. Install VSTOR V3.
    5. Reinstall .NET 4.0

best regards,

After trying every other solution that I found online, this was the only one that worked for me. Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:09 PM