none
Permissions for machine.config for Standard User RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF application that I wrote that targets the .Net Framework 4 Client Profile. It runs fine on my development computer. I created an install and installed it on a clean test machine. When I run the program under an Admin account everything is fine. When I run under a Standard User account I get the following error.

Configuration Parse Error
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\V4.0.30319\config\machine.config
    Parser returned error 0x80070005

Error 80070005 is an access denied error. I followed the path listed in the error message to the machine.config file, right-clicked, selected Properties, and clicked on the Security tab. The Admin group had full control permissions. The Users group was not listed.

This surprised me. Standard users aren't given access by default?  I manually added Read and Read & Execute permissions for the Users group to the machine.config file and reran my program. The program now worked.

I looked at a couple other computers in the office and found that their setup was the same. The security settings for the machine.config file did not have any permissions for the Users group.  Is this normal?

I looked at the permissions for the machine.config listed under v2.0.50727 on the test machine and it did have Read and Read & Execute permissions for the Users group.

I ran Aaron Stebner's .Net Framework Setup Verification Tool and it said my Framework setup was okay.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Can someone tell me if this is normal for v4.0.30319? It appears that a standard user cannot use the v4 framework with the default install? Or are our installs somehow bad? Or am I just not understanding something?

Thanks
    Terry

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Terry,

Yes, please check with IT in your company and see if there're certain security policy applied.  Domain admin manages global policies that applied to all computers in domain.  What you see isn't normal indeed.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:09 AM

All replies

• As your problem is with application deployment and not .NET Framework installation, please ask here for best answers:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/threads

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:12 PM
  • My problem is NOT with application deployment.

My question is about default permissions on .Net Framework files after the .Net Framework is installed.

The file "C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\V4.0.30319\config\machine.config" is part of the .Net Framework. It is not part of an application being deployed.

Let me simplify my question. It appears that the default installation of the above mentioned machine.config file gives permissions to the Admin group but nothing to the Users group. Is this correct?

Terry

Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Sorry!

I'm guilty of reading your first paragraph and making an erroneous assumption.

Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I installed .NET 4 by default and my file permission of "machine.config" in Users Group is "Read" and "Read & execute". I also tested it in other machines and the results are the same. So I think your idea is correct. 

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Barry,

Thanks for the reply.

So you are seeing Users group with permissions? I'm not. I was expecting the Users group to have Read and Read & Execute by default, like you found, but that is not the case in the three machines I checked in my office. In those machines the Users group was not given any permissions. I had to manually add Read and Read & Execute.

I wonder why Users don't have any permissions to the machine.config on these computers?

Thanks,

Terry

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Terry,

Yes, I can see the "Read" permissions in my Users group. And I was using Windows 7 64 bit.

I think we all know that "Users Group" have read permission by default. So I think it is not normal that you do not have permission.

Could you please show me your OS version to test? If I can reproduce your issue, maybe the reason will be clear.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Windows 7 Professional
    Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

One of the computers is 64 bit and the other is 32 bit. I'm not able to check one of the other computers I looked at earlier but I believe it is 64 bit.

I didn't set any of these machines up so I'll check with the hardware guys to see if this is something they did intentionally for whatever reason. I didn't think this was a "normal" setup. Thanks for you time with this.

Terry

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Yes, please check with IT in your company and see if there're certain security policy applied.  Domain admin manages global policies that applied to all computers in domain.  What you see isn't normal indeed.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:09 AM