Where are the MSM files for the Visual C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2017? RRS feed

• Frage

• I would expect to find these in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Merge Modules

But unless we should use the old redistributables they seem to be missing.

This StackOverlow thread indicates that they can be found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Redist\MSVC\14.10.25008\MergeModules

But that does not have the MFC files:

Which are in a sister folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Redist\MSVC\14.10.25017\MergeModules

Not only is the type of Visual Studio (Community) that I am using in the path name but there is a version number and nothing to indicate the library name.

I am using the following toolset in Visual Studio "Visual Studio 2017 - Windows XP (v141_xp)" so one would assume that the libraries would be named something like "Microsoft_VC141_MFC_x86.msm" - the old one for Visual Studio 2015 had a toolset name of "Visual Studio 2015 - Windows XP (v140_xp)" for which the MFC library was "Microsoft_VC140_MFC_x86.msm" - however what I assume that I should be using is named "Microsoft_VC150_MFC_x86.msm"!

Does anyone else find this confusing/irritating?

Donnerstag, 30. März 2017 20:03

Alle Antworten

• Hi ellipsisware,

thanks for posting here.

>>Where are the MSM files for the Visual C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2017?                                 

According to this document, for vs2015, when Visual Studio is installed, the merge modules are installed in \Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules\. (Only non-debug versions of Visual C++ DLLs may be redistributed.). And I found it in my computer.

And for vs2017, there has no such a document, but these files exist in vs installation folder\VC\Redist\MSVC\14.10.24930\MergeModules. For mine, it's in the D:\ folder.

These files are redistributed with VC++ package. So if you couldn't find these files, please check if you have installed the vc++ redistributable package with the right version.

For example, MFC files are missing in vs2017, you could reinstall vs2017 with MFC features and check again.

Hope this could be help of you.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Freitag, 31. März 2017 02:09
  • Thank you.

As my post indicated I was able to find them, but not where expected (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Merge Modules), not in one directory but in multiple directories whose names gave no indication of the contents - which had file names that were inconsistent with the toolset name, and with type of VS installation in the file name - so if I changed my version from Community to Pro my installation package would break.

The directory in which you found the merge files is yet another inconstancy - I do not have a VC\Redist\MSVC\14.10.24930 folder.

I guess that this is not really a question but a request to have this fixed by putting the merge modules back to where they used to be and by hopefully making the names match the toolset - rather hard now that they are out of sync.

Freitag, 31. März 2017 17:46