none
SQL Security Update KB970895 Asks for a CD and a file that does not exist RRS feed

• Question

• OK So I have been trying to install the SQL Server Security update on SQL Server 2005 SP2 KB970895.  I have been working on this for a while and have not made any progress.  It starts to install asks for a CD and that is as far as I get.  It seems to be looking for SQLRun.msi that does not exist on the server or the CD.  I have tried and failed to resolve this using a variety of methods that I have found on the internet.

Here is the entry in the log.
    Failed to find installation media path due to datastore exception
    in FindSetupFolder()
    MSI (s) (D4!50) [09:00:43:077]: Note: 1: 2203 2: c:\WINDOWS\system32\Setup\SqlRun.msi 3: -2147287038

Loaded DLL:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\xmlrw.dll
     Version:

in FindSetupFolder()

in FindSetupFolder()

in FindSetupFolder()

in FindSetupFolder()

Monday, February 8, 2010 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Please check the following:
    - Verify the user you logged in to windows is a member of local administrator group.
    - Logged-in user should have full control on the data folder.
    - In "Advanced Security Settings for Data"  check that Logged-in user have full control on the data folder, and also "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here" checkbox is checked.
    - Explicitly checked "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" and clicked on Apply.

After these steps, try the installation again.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:05 PM