none
SQL Server Web Application, Best Platform to use? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been tasked with rebuilding one of our internal applications, the version made by my predecessor about 20MB worth of Excel VB Macros in a buggy linked sheet as client/server, so it's obviously going to be a complete scrap and rebuild.I'm just looking for some insight/suggestions on the best platform to use to complete the task, from looking around a little I think it'd be between HTML5, C#, and ASP.Net, but I'd be new to any of them, I've dabbled in some basic HTML, a decent amount of T-SQL, and a little vbscript with ado connections, so any path I go down would require quite a bit of learning, and I'm just looking for suggestions/insight as to what would be the best approach to take.

The primary purpose is to monitor our production environment, I've setup a logger to pull data from the machines through OPC into a SQL Server 2012 Database, now it's just a matter of building the front-end, since a number of people across the plant will need to view and enter data into the db I was thinking something web based would be best, I could do a lot of the monitoring/viewing side of things through SSRS reports with its pretty gauges and all, but there will need to be a lot of input as well, scheduling, issue logs, and the like.

Thanks for the insight everyone, and I'm open to any suggestions.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:57 PM

Answers

All replies