none
Multiple .net framework versions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In my server i am observing multiple versions of .net framework.

Our server is sql server 2005.with .net framework 2.0.

But i am observing more versions like 3.0,3.5 also

Can anyone help me why these many versions are there.

And recently i got one error

Event id: 5000

Error .net runtime 2.0 error

Description:

event type clr20r3,P1 sacsclient.exe,P2 1.0.0.0,P34c0f1a1a,P4mscorlib,P5 2.0.0.0,P6471ebc5b,P716f8,P822,P9 system.invalidoperation exception,P10NIL.

Is this error due to above multiple versions .

How to check which version is using sql server .

Waiting for quick response.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Mito,

I take it that you're getting this error from the Windows event log...Have a look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/carloc/archive/2007/10/19/net-runtime-2-0-error-event-id-5000.aspx for a start (I found this by searching for "Event id: 5000 Error .net runtime 2.0 error" on Bing), looks like its a known error, with a few known resolutions.

The description does look like indicate that the error occurs in the program sacsclient.exe, the error itself is an Invalid Operation Exception in a client application. Rather than uninstalling version 3.5 SP1 of .NET (which is necessary for SQL Server to function correctly, its a prerequisite for SQL Server install), I'd investigate what the problem with sacsclient.exe is.

You can configure an application or ASP.NET application to use a specific runtime version by using supportedRuntime and requiredRuntime elements in the application's configuration file if need be, but for the most part, .NET applications are backward compatible.

Hope this helps, Bob Beauchemin, SQLskills

• Marked as answer by KJian_ Friday, October 29, 2010 5:49 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Mito,

Except for there being multiple versions installed how do you observe them being used? Here's a rundown on .NET versions and SQL Server: http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/BOBB/post/SQL-Server-2008-and-NET-framework-versions.aspx . You can check which version of the "base" libraries is being used by looking for the "Common Language Runtime (CLR) functionality initiallized.... message in the SQL Server Event Log. But, bear in mind that, some supported libraries (like System.Core.dll) appeared in .NET 3.5, so don't delete versions of .NET from your server.  Respond here if you have any specific questions.

Cheers, Bob Beauchemin, SQLskills

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Hi sir ,

I am getting this error frequently .I am not able to find exact root cause.Due to this error we are thinking to uninstall other versions.

Event id: 5000

Error .net runtime 2.0 error

Description:  

event type clr20r3,P1 sacsclient.exe,P2 1.0.0.0,P34c0f1a1a,P4mscorlib,P5 2.0.0.0,P6471ebc5b,P716f8,P822,P9 system.invalidoperation exception,P10NIL.

Kindly provide any information to solve this error.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hi Mito,

I take it that you're getting this error from the Windows event log...Have a look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/carloc/archive/2007/10/19/net-runtime-2-0-error-event-id-5000.aspx for a start (I found this by searching for "Event id: 5000 Error .net runtime 2.0 error" on Bing), looks like its a known error, with a few known resolutions.

The description does look like indicate that the error occurs in the program sacsclient.exe, the error itself is an Invalid Operation Exception in a client application. Rather than uninstalling version 3.5 SP1 of .NET (which is necessary for SQL Server to function correctly, its a prerequisite for SQL Server install), I'd investigate what the problem with sacsclient.exe is.

You can configure an application or ASP.NET application to use a specific runtime version by using supportedRuntime and requiredRuntime elements in the application's configuration file if need be, but for the most part, .NET applications are backward compatible.

Hope this helps, Bob Beauchemin, SQLskills

• Marked as answer by KJian_ Friday, October 29, 2010 5:49 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:41 AM