none
ToggleItem nightmare - my gripes with SSRS 2008!! (versus 2005) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am having an irritating problem with ToggleItem - I can hide/show rows, but empty white spaces show when they should have been collapsed.
    Never had a problem is 2005.
    Now, in 2008, I have to set confusing Properties like KeepTogether and KeepWithGroup.
    It's gets worse when Advanced Mode is turned on.
    I also get stupid error messages like:
    The grouping 'Group1' has an invalid TablixMember. A TablixMember that is dynamic (i.e., has a Group specified) or has dynamic descendants must have the KeepWithGroup property set to "None".

I had some previous reports from 2005, converted to 2008, and the way I remember doing ToggleItem has vanished!
    I clearly remember setting ToggleItem on the actual row/textbox, now that has shifted to the Row Groups section.

Also remember the issue that was previously raised about Repeating Rows on a page?
    Remember how much more unnecessarily complex it has become?

SSRS team, please can you justify confusing us SSRS users!
    I'm a developer, imagine BI users who are used to the way things are done in 2005!!

I'm hoping the next release is more 2005-like and less 2008-like!!!

Comments and feedback welcome, now I'm back to trying to figure out this irritating and unnecessary problem, grrrr......

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Eng. Alaa

I got the thing to work eventually.
    I had to open a previous report (converted from 2005), and basically set the same properties for the Row Groups and its Static members.
    I also had to make a modification to what I had copied.

This is just ridiculous, in 2005 all I had to do was set ONE option and ToggleItem (INCLUDING Excel drill down) was activated and working.

Here's what the Row Groups, including its Static members, now look like:

(Static)
    (Static)
    (Group1)
        (Static)
        (Static)
            (Group2)                             -> ToggleItem is set here
               (Static)                             -> ToggleItem is set here
               (table1_Details_Group)
                   (Static)                         -> ToggleItem is set here

All I wanted was for the Details to be toggled by Group 2, and Group 2 to be toggled by Group 1.
    I just don't understand WHY ToggleItem is set the way it is now, but it is working, so I'll just leave it.
    The Excel output now also reflects this 3-level drill down.
    SSRS 2008 makes it so difficult just to achieve this!!

If the SSRS team could respond, it would be much appreciated!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:16 AM

All replies

• hi Shiv179,

I started using SSRS since 5 months and I Started with 2008, at that time I was reading tutorials about SSRS 2005,really there is a big difference , when I start to apply what I have just Learnt, I found some difficulties of keep tracking 2005 steps on 2008 !!! I can't say 2005 is better or 2008 is better because I used to 2008 and I know little  about 2005, the idea is with the big change !! 

so sir don't be confused, you will get used to 2008 soon, for the toggle item, it is so easy done in 2008, I don't understand your problem if you can attach a photo that will be nice and you  will make it easy for us 

To attach image, you can store the picture on http://www.skydriver.live.com/ , click one picture to view the picture. Right click the picture, click copy. After that, reply the post, and click paste.

have a nice day.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hi Eng. Alaa

I got the thing to work eventually.
    I had to open a previous report (converted from 2005), and basically set the same properties for the Row Groups and its Static members.
    I also had to make a modification to what I had copied.

This is just ridiculous, in 2005 all I had to do was set ONE option and ToggleItem (INCLUDING Excel drill down) was activated and working.

Here's what the Row Groups, including its Static members, now look like:

(Static)
    (Static)
    (Group1)
        (Static)
        (Static)
            (Group2)                             -> ToggleItem is set here
               (Static)                             -> ToggleItem is set here
               (table1_Details_Group)
                   (Static)                         -> ToggleItem is set here

All I wanted was for the Details to be toggled by Group 2, and Group 2 to be toggled by Group 1.
    I just don't understand WHY ToggleItem is set the way it is now, but it is working, so I'll just leave it.
    The Excel output now also reflects this 3-level drill down.
    SSRS 2008 makes it so difficult just to achieve this!!

If the SSRS team could respond, it would be much appreciated!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Also post feedback here.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:28 AM
  • hi shiv179,

I am happy for you since your problem get solved eventually !!!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Hi Eng. Alaa

Thanks ;-)

All I care about are Groups and Details, Static means nothing to me.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi all

This has baffled me for a while, so it was good to see this answer - but I agree with all of those who say it shouldn't be this complicated!

For a four-part blog series on how to solve this problem, see http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s94/outlining-working.htm.   In particular this shows how to display static items in a report.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:59 PM
  • it's so simple in 2008-

Select the group on which you want to toggle(normally it is detail group). open properties(press F4 key). Enter toggleItem (on which you want to create (+) sign) and make hidden property true.

Atul
    Monday, December 26, 2011 9:47 AM