none
SQLPackage.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a build package that deploys my database when run on a server.

It works on my local test server fine but when running on a production server I get this error:

To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET framework:

v4.0.30319.

Is the full .Net framework 4.0 to be installed on a machine to run sql package standalone this way? Or might there be dll's I can include in my build that I might be missing?

I should note that when I run SQLPackage.exe from the command line on that server I get the same error.

I am running it on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:31 AM

Answers

• So you need .net 4.0 on whatever PC you run sqlpackage.exe. If that is the server then you need .net 4.0 there.
    • Marked as answer by ReportCreator Monday, October 6, 2014 11:27 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03 AM

All replies

• You need to install the .net framework plus all the other dependencies for sqlpackage.exe on the machine. From the download page you can see the following required dependencies:

• Microsoft SQL Server Data-Tier Application Framework requires Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types, and Microsoft SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom (SQLSysCLRTypes.msi and SQLDOM.msi) both of which are available on the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014 Feature Pack site. If you are on an x64 machine, you will need to install both the x64 and x86 versions of the MSIs above.

Lonny

Monday, September 29, 2014 4:52 AM
  • Thank you, we are trying to deploy it as part of a standalone database update package.

All the rest of the dependencies we have been able to add to our MSI but it seems we need to also have .net 4 of the framework on the server as well.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:49 AM
  • If you are not running SQLPackage on the server then you do not need .net 4.0 on the server. .Net 4 needs to be installed where ever you execute SQLPackage.exe from.
    • Proposed as answer by Visakh16MVP Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:29 AM
  • We were trying to run it on the server as part of an MSI package installation.
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:23 AM
  • So you need .net 4.0 on whatever PC you run sqlpackage.exe. If that is the server then you need .net 4.0 there.
    • Marked as answer by ReportCreator Monday, October 6, 2014 11:27 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03 AM