none
Sql 2005 Remote Connection RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem connecting to a remote SQL server 2005 instance.  The remote server is for a website hosting account of mine.  I can connect to the server from computers other than the problem computer just fine.  I cannot connect to the server using any software including SQL Server Management Studio Express, Visual Web Developer, or even when trying to use aspnet_regsql.exe on the problem computer.  The request to connect to the remote server never seems to leave my computer.  When talking to my hosting service, they replied that they did not receive a request to connect to their server from me.  I have shut down Windows Firewall as well as my third-party firewall with no change.  The error message that I receive is:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:26 PM

Answers

•  

There are a couple of changes that need to be made to allow remote connections to the server... and these need to be made on the server. Have a look at this KB Atricle. Also one way to test is to create a simple ODBC Connection and see if you can get through. Also I see it stange that a hosting company is allowing remote connections to the database server, normally they only allow connections through some sort of web interface or one of there own client tools.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:15 PM

All replies

•  

There are a couple of changes that need to be made to allow remote connections to the server... and these need to be made on the server. Have a look at this KB Atricle. Also one way to test is to create a simple ODBC Connection and see if you can get through. Also I see it stange that a hosting company is allowing remote connections to the database server, normally they only allow connections through some sort of web interface or one of there own client tools.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:15 PM
  • I don't know why but my hosting company does use remote connections through sql server management studio and such to modify databases.  Everything works fine on their end as I can connect to my database without a problem on other computers.  No method that I have used has allowed me to get through on this one computer.
    Monday, July 31, 2006 2:17 AM
  • Is anybody still curious about this?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:38 PM
    Owner