none
Version incompatibility for script task called from a Dataflow RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SSIS 2016 package I can run fine from Visual Studio 2015 but when I run from the catalogue or a step in a SQL Server Agent job it fails.

There are a number of error message the first of which is "The version of ..... is not compatible with this version of the DataFlow. [[The version or pipeline version or both for the specified component is higher than the current version. This package was probably created on a new version of DTS or the component than is installed on the current PC.]]

The next error says "The component metadata for .... could not be upgraded to the newer version of the component. The PerformUpgrade method failed."

Firstly, what exactly is causing the version problem - the dataflow, the component or some other software on the SSIS server? I'm not entirely sure from these error messages.

Secondly, could this be an issue around the .NET version on my Visual Studio development machine and the server running the package? It is 4.6.2 on the SSIS server (which is Windows Server 2012 R2) and 4.6.1 on my development machine (also 2012 R2)? To me that doesn't seem likely given the small difference in versions.

What other software should I be looking at around this?

Would be wonderful if somebody has the answer to this one as it's driving me nuts. :-)

Nick Ryan MIS Programmer Analyst, ANZ Bank

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Nick Ryan,

What's the version of SSMS?

According to the error message, it seems that the version of package is not matched with the version of SSIS on the machine. Please make sure the package is a SSIS 2016 package and you have installed the SSIS 2016 on the machine you deployed.

Another question, do you deploy the single package without deploying entire project using SSDT? As far as I know, if you only deploy single package, the Script Task may not work with SQL Agent.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nick Ryan Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:49 AM

All replies

• Secondly, could this be an issue around the .NET version on my Visual Studio development machine and the server running the package? It is 4.6.2 on the SSIS server (which is Windows Server 2012 R2) and 4.6.1 on my development machine (also 2012 R2)? To me that doesn't seem likely given the small difference in versions

Definitely that can be an issue

Is that ADO.NET Destination?

Also read this thread

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34246517/ssis-c-sharp-script-is-not-compatible

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Hi Nick Ryan,

What's the version of SSMS?

According to the error message, it seems that the version of package is not matched with the version of SSIS on the machine. Please make sure the package is a SSIS 2016 package and you have installed the SSIS 2016 on the machine you deployed.

Another question, do you deploy the single package without deploying entire project using SSDT? As far as I know, if you only deploy single package, the Script Task may not work with SQL Agent.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nick Ryan Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:49 AM
  • Wow, as easy as that! I was deploying just the package I'd changed as the whole project had been deployed earlier so I assumed that was all that is required. Deployed the whole project and the problem went away.

That's really surprising. Is this a bug?

All sorted.

In answer to the other questions although perhaps not relevant now.

SSMS version 2016.

SSIS version 13.0 (which I believe is 2016)

Version in the package 2016 (was vNext by default but I remembered to change that).

And before finding this solution, I aligned the .NET versions obviously to no avail.

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Really glad I came upon this post. Been struggling for a week with the Script Task issue.  Deploying the entire project rather than single package solved the problem.  Thanks all who contributed to this post.
    Friday, September 8, 2017 4:53 PM
  • This workaround is a great help! Can somebody explain why a script component is not working after package deployment?

Regards,

Dominique

Friday, April 5, 2019 7:59 AM
  • From what I remember, if you have deployed as a project then you have to continue to deploy the whole project.

I'm pretty sure that I saw somewhere else that a later version would support adding just a package to a previously deployed project but I can't remember the detail of whether that would be a later SSDT version of a later release of SQL Server.

Sunday, April 7, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Obviously there are a few potential answers here but just to share my experience which may help others... I was upgrading SSIS Packages from Visual Studio 2010 running on SQL Server 2012 to Visual Studio 2017 running on SQL Server 2017. After numerous frustrating failed attempts to upgrade the 79 Packages in my Project, I finally found the following methodology to work:

* Open Solution in Visual Studio.
    * Open each Package which includes script components.
    * Edit each Script component in the Package and change the Target Framework to v4.6 (from v4.0) in the Script Project Properties, save and close.
    * Change the Target Server Version to SQL Server 2014 (from SQL Server 2010) in the Package Project Properties, click OK.
    * Right-click on the folder where the Packages are stored and 'Upgrade All Packages', go through the Wizard.
    * (If you then look at the Properties of any Script Component, you'll see that the Script Language has changed from VB/C# version 2010 to 2012.)
    * Change the Target Server Version to SQL Server 2016 (from SQL Server 2014) in the Package Project Properties, click OK.
    * Right-click on the folder where the Packages are stored and 'Upgrade All Packages' again, go through the Wizard.
    * (If you then look at the Properties of any Script Component, you'll see that the Script Language has changed from VB/C# version 2012 to 2015.)
    * Change the Target Server Version to SQL Server 2017 (from SQL Server 2016) in the Package Project Properties, click OK.
    * Right-click on the folder where the Packages are stored and 'Upgrade All Packages' again, go through the Wizard.
    * (If you then look at the Properties of any Script Component, you'll see that the Script Language has changed from VB/C# version 2015 to 2017.)

I was performing the above tasks on a workstation with decent resources but even so changing the Target Server Version took aaaaaaaaaages to execute each time (10 minutes plus). CPU usage on VS went up to 30-40% and memory crept up to around 1,200MB while things processed but it did get there in the end. An annoyingly slow process but it beat re-creating all of the script components!

Hope this helps!

Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:31 PM
  • My issue solved by the solution too.
    I deployed just the package that had been changed. I searched and found the solution in this topic.
    Thanks a lot for the helpful answer Pirlo Zhang.
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:18 AM