• Question

• Suppose i have two tables:

Table 1 ($SYSTEM.DISCOVER_SESSIONS) has columns A, B, C

Table 2 has columns A, C, D

I query table 1 to select data from columns A and C

I save that query result in a variable called: $result

essentially it looks like this:

$result = 'SELECT [A],[C] FROM $SYSTEM.DISCOVER_SESSIONS'

Now i want to INSERT $result in table 2, with columns automatically matching (A, C) since these were the ones stored in $result

I realized I could potentially use JOINS for this, but I am unsure how I can formulate the correct syntax for what Im trying to do.

INSERT INNER JOIN SELECT *
    INTO table2 
    FROM $result  

Is the approach Im trying to do possible?

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:13 PM

Answers

• but $result does store columns from the query and export to csv the table. So it does hold a table like structure, which should be accessible easily from the next query:

INTO table2 
    FROM $result  

$result is a variable in your application code with the results of a SELECT query. You can't use that variable directly in a T-SQL statement since SQL Server can't access that data directly. You can insert the data directly into the table using SqlBulkCopy if the variable is a data table. 

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:19 AM

All replies

• Your syntax is for MySQL, not MICROSOFT SQL Server.  I suggest you post your question on the MySQL forums.

https://forums.mysql.com/

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:44 PM
  • Your syntax is for MySQL, not MICROSOFT SQL Server.  I suggest you post your question on the MySQL forums.

https://forums.mysql.com/

How is it mysql...i am not using mysql at all....Im literally connectiong to SQL through this function:

$SqlConnection = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection 
    $SqlConnection.ConnectionString = "Server=$Server;Initial Catalog=$usageDB;Integrated Security=SSPI" 

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:53 PM
  • I guess Tom assumed you were using something else than SQL Server, since your code did not make much sense in a pure T-SQL perspective. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, but maybe it is PowerShell.

That $result of yours is a PowerShell object, and you cannot start to use that in SQL. Keep in mind that your PowerShell runs in one process, and SQL Server runs a completely different process, which could be on a completely different server. SQL Server knows nothing about your $result.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:58 PM
  • I guess Tom assumed you were using something else than SQL Server, since your code did not make much sense in a pure T-SQL perspective. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, but maybe it is PowerShell.

That $result of yours is a PowerShell object, and you cannot start to use that in SQL. Keep in mind that your PowerShell runs in one process, and SQL Server runs a completely different process, which could be on a completely different server. SQL Server knows nothing about your $result.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

but $result does store columns from the query and export to csv the table. So it does hold a table like structure, which should be accessible easily from the next query:

INTO table2 
    FROM $result  

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:19 PM

• but $result does store columns from the query and export to csv the table. So it does hold a table like structure, which should be accessible easily from the next query:

INTO table2 
    FROM $result  

$result is a variable in your application code with the results of a SELECT query. You can't use that variable directly in a T-SQL statement since SQL Server can't access that data directly. You can insert the data directly into the table using SqlBulkCopy if the variable is a data table. 

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:19 AM