Adding New Dim to Exist Dim Table, Dim Table Used in Seveal Cubes, Must I update all Cubes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

System: SQL Server 2014, SSIS, SSAS, VS2013, SSDT, and Attunity 3.0 Teradata, and Tabular Module Partitions is implemented.

I have one certain Dimension table being used in several different cubes  wired into their diagrams. If I Alter in a new column to that certain Dimension table, update the SSIS package that works with that Dimension table for column Alteration, and then update the Cube design with that new Dimension:

1. Can I alter that one certain table, update that one cubes SSIS package Cube, and all the other cubes using that same one Dimension table will keep running without error?

2. Or will I need to also update all the other SSIS packages and Cube designs that also use that one updated Dimension table in order for them to not error?

3. Doesn’t matter, you can add the new column to the dimension table, and update that SSIS and Cube to take advantage of the new dimension, and the other cubes using that same dimension table will be unaffected because that column will be unseen, or considered hidden, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, JPQ

Thursday, November 3, 2016 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi JP_Quinn,

According to your description, you add a new column to Dimension table of underlying database, and update  that column with SSIS package, am I right?

If your Dimension table don’t include this new column, and you don’t want to import this new column to Dimension table of SSAS Tabular Model, then you can leave it as it is.

If you want to add this new column to that Dimension table of SSAS Tabular Model, please try this Add column steps:in grid view, select that Dimension table->table(in menu list)->table properties, you will see “Edit Table properties” , add this new column to your Dimension table.

If you want to add this column to all the cubes, you need to repeat this Add column steps for each cube.

Willson Yuan

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Thanks Willson, this is helpful, I had only made a change yesterday to the base table and a custom view made from it, and let he job run over night, to see how and what it affected. So now I will go later today to make the change to the SSIS package to see the new column, and deploy, then make the change to one cube in question, and then deploy and restart the job and see the new column get into the cube. Thanks for the steps details, I would have done it differently as I am still poking around.
    Friday, November 4, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Hi JP_Quinn,

Are you successfully adding the new column to your dimension table? please let me know if you need some more information about this .

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:20 AM