none
Using SSIS without previously locally installing SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys, 

I've already managed using SSIS without it being installed but with SQL Server being installed. I've done that by adding .dll files in my project, but if I try it without SQL Server being installed, it doesn't work. 

By getting an error that DTS.dll, that is on a path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DTS\Bin\DTS.dll, is missing. I've installed SQL Server and saved that .dlls that are needed for DTS to work (DTSMsg140.dll, Instapi140.dll, Msvcp120.dll, Msvcr120.dll odbs32.dll and some others), on the exact same path that they were, and then uninstalled the server, but I still get an error. 

Is it even possible to use SSIS without SQL server being locally installed, and if it is, how should I do it?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:20 PM

All replies

• You don't need a installed database engine, but installed SSIS as shared component; just a few DLL's don't work, SSIS is a Windows Service.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:36 PM
  • We still do not understand what exactly you are trying to do.

Are you using Visual Studio, SSMS, SSDT? What are you trying to do in SSIS?  Are you trying to run an SSIS package?  What exactly are you doing?  What exactly is the error message you are getting?

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Hi JovanaMajcen,

Before we work too hard with the wrong thing, can you post your error messages? This clarifies what you are asking about and help us resolve the issue better.

Regards,

Zoe

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:31 AM
  • I am trying to get packages information, and this is the error I get:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    An Integration Services class cannot be found. Make sure that Integration Services is correctly installed on the computer that is running the application. Also, make sure that the 64-bit version of Integration Services is installed if you are running a 64-bit application.
    Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {4F0FC44B-C99C-441D-B86A-D60D7E22143D} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Jovana Majcen

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:17 PM
  • Hi JovanaMajcen,

You could resolve this issue by installing 32 bit SSIS component (selection x86 option during installation) on the web server.

Please refer to An Integration Services class cannot be found - How to resolve and 64 bit Considerations for Integration Services.

Regards,

Zoe

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:37 AM
  • Make sure that Integration Services is correctly installed on the computer
    The message tells you the same thing I already wrote; for using SSIS it must be installed; just copying a bundle of DLL's don't work.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:37 AM
  • What exactly are you doing to get that message?  Is this from SSMS, Visual Studio?  Please give us the exact steps and application you are using to get this error message.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:06 PM
  • I am using VS for getting package details like: 

• variables
    • project parameters
    • package source
    • flow diagrams
    • extended properties...

But my application is crashing when I try Activator.CreateInstance(ApplicationType). ApplicationType gets data from Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Application.

Jovana Majcen

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:51 PM
  • Hi Jovana,

is VS your application?

How do you acquire the

• variables
    • project parameters
    • package source
    • flow diagrams
    • extended properties...?

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:59 PM
  • My application is built in VS. Through reflection I am retrieving data types from 

"Microsoft.SqlServer.ASTasks","Microsoft.SqlServer.BulkInsertTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.DataReaderDest", "Microsoft.SqlServer.DmQueryTask",  "Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSPipelineWrap", "Microsoft.SQLServer.DTSRuntimeWrap",  "Microsoft.SqlServer.Exec80PackageTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.ExecProcTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.FileSystemTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.FtpTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.MaintenancePlanTasks", "Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS"

etc...

Jovana Majcen

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:48 PM
  • By VS I mean Visual Studio 2019.

Jovana Majcen

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:50 PM
  • My application is built in VS. Through reflection I am retrieving data types from 

"Microsoft.SqlServer.ASTasks","Microsoft.SqlServer.BulkInsertTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.DataReaderDest", "Microsoft.SqlServer.DmQueryTask",  "Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSPipelineWrap", "Microsoft.SQLServer.DTSRuntimeWrap",  "Microsoft.SqlServer.Exec80PackageTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.ExecProcTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.FileSystemTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.FtpTask", "Microsoft.SqlServer.MaintenancePlanTasks", "Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS"

etc...

Jovana Majcen

So it seems this scenario exists:

1) SSIS is not installed

2) The application does not handle the above case

Remediation: use try-catch and make the app report that SSIS is not present.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:46 PM
  • I do have a try-catch block that catches the error, but I do not want that. I want to know if it can somehow work (by transfetring DLL's was my first idea - which does not work).

Jovana Majcen

Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:05 PM
  • Hi Jovana,

SSIS has 2 distinct environments:

1. Development environment on a dev. machine. It requires VS and SSDT installed.
    2. Run-time environment on the server. Starting from SSIS 2012 onwards, it became a server side software. Not just a collection of DLLs/Assembly files on the file system and registered in GAC.
      Run-time environment on the server requires both SQL Server engine and SSIS installation.
      After that you would need to create SSISDB Catalog: Understanding the SQL Server Integration Services Catalog and creating the SSISDB Catalog

Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:32 PM