none
SQL 2012 Upgrade Advisor RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to install the SQL 2012 upgrade advisor on my SQL 2008 R 2 box and I got an error telling me that setup is missing prerequisits.  It says that Transact-SQL ScriptDom is missing and that I have to go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=216742 to get it.  But, when I go to that url, I get a 404 error.  Where do I get the stuff I need for the upgrade advisor?

Thanks

Bert

Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:15 PM

Answers

• http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29065

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Transact-SQL ScriptDom
        Microsoft SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom is a .NET Framework API that provides parsing and scripting services for Transact-SQL. This API supports SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 versions.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:38 PM
  • You can find SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26727

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi Penney,

Upgrade Advisor is available in the Servers\redist\Upgrade Advisor folder of the SQL Server installation media, and from the Microsoft Download Center.

What is the OS the SQL Server running? Please refer to the Prerequisites for installing and running Upgrade Advisor are as follows:
    • Windows Vista SP1, or SP2, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
    • Windows Installer beginning with version 4.5.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4. .NET Framework 4

To install Upgrade Advisor from the Web, click the download button on the download page. You can then run installation immediately. If you are installing from the product disc, run SQLUA.msi directly from the product disk.

For more information, please refer to Use Upgrade Advisor to Prepare for Upgrades

Regards,
    Amber zhang
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:32 AM

All replies

• http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29065

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Transact-SQL ScriptDom
        Microsoft SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom is a .NET Framework API that provides parsing and scripting services for Transact-SQL. This API supports SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 versions.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply and link, Ahmed.  Ufortunately, the installation failed so I am just going to upgrade SQL and not worry about the advisor.

Bert

Sunday, April 8, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Hi Penney,

Regarding to the error message you provided, which means SQL ScriptDom is missing, as Ahmed mentioned you need to install .NET Framework API first.
    If you want to directly upgrade SQL Server 2012, do you have a license key? If not, SQL Server upgrading is not supported. Please refer to here: Supported Version and Edition Upgrades 

Meanwhile please refer to these articles:
    1. Upgrade to SQL Server 2012 Using the Installation Wizard (Setup): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267(v=SQL.110).aspx
    2. Upgrade to a Different Edition of SQL Server 2012 (Setup): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783.aspx

If you have any error please post the SQL error log for further troubleshooting.

Regards,
    Amber zhang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:32 AM
  • HI Amber,

Thanks for the reply but what I was tring to do was install the Upgrade Adviser, not SQL itself.  I have SQL 2008 R2 installed and I wanted to make sure that everything was OK before trying to upgrade to 2012 but I couldn't get the Adviser to install.

Bert

PS: Yes, I do have a license key for 2012.

Monday, April 9, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hi Penney,

Upgrade Advisor is available in the Servers\redist\Upgrade Advisor folder of the SQL Server installation media, and from the Microsoft Download Center.

What is the OS the SQL Server running? Please refer to the Prerequisites for installing and running Upgrade Advisor are as follows:
    • Windows Vista SP1, or SP2, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
    • Windows Installer beginning with version 4.5.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4. .NET Framework 4

To install Upgrade Advisor from the Web, click the download button on the download page. You can then run installation immediately. If you are installing from the product disc, run SQLUA.msi directly from the product disk.

For more information, please refer to Use Upgrade Advisor to Prepare for Upgrades

Regards,
    Amber zhang

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:32 AM
  • I don't have a "Servers\redist\Upgrade Advisor" folder on my DVD (technet ISO file).  Also, the link you gave is for a text file only.

I an running SQL 2008 R2 on a W2K8R2 box and I am trying to install the Upgrade Advisor on that box.  I downloaded the files Ahmed listed above but that fails as well.

Can you tell me where I can find SP1 for SQL 2008 R2?

Bert

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:49 PM
  • You can find SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26727

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Got it.  Thanks, Sam.

Bert

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:10 PM
  • This installer for the ScriptDom doesn't work.  I am trying to install on Server 2008 R2 x64.  It runs and I accept the terms, and then click Install and it gives the error "Error reading from file X:\path to file\SQLDOM.MSI.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it." 

I have verified that it exists and that I can access it - my user account has full control on the NTFS permissions, and obviously it exists because it runs the initial part of the install wizard.  I've also 'unblocked' it from the properties window since it came from another computer.  Frustrating.. What's the deal?

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:17 PM
  • You need to install the .Net framework 4.0 before install the ScriptDom.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:01 PM
  •       Try Windows folders instead
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:22 PM