none
SSRS 2017 401.2 Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem accessing /reportserver on a domain VM.

I am however able to access /reports on same domain VM.

I receive the dreaded error of:

Access is denied.

Description: An error occurred while accessing the resources required to serve this request. The server may not be configured for access to the requested URL.

Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration.  Verify that you have permission to view this directory or page based on the credentials you supplied and the authentication methods enabled on the Web server.  Contact the Web server's administrator for additional assistance.

Things that I have done...

1. Service Account - Used Network Service, Virtual Service Account, and Use Another Account (domain account with non expiring pw)
    2. Modified the Web Service URL from 80 to 86 and back again.
    3. Database is on the same VM and Reporting Services.  Database credential uses NT Authority\NetworkService (current) and others.  All logins have the RSExecRole.
    4. Authentication mode is NTLM
    5. I have anonymous login disabled.
    6. As a test, I installed SQL 2017 and SSRS 2017 on my personal work machine and I was able to connect to /reportserver.
    7. Both Users and Machine have access in the Security page on the folder level for the Web Portal.
    8. Encryption Keys have been refreshed (change).
    9. IIS has port 86 open and is listening.
    10. .NET is good to go on the VM (reinstalled)
    11. Reviewing login_name and nt_user_name on server and can see the VM machine is attempting to access the database from the Report Server and RSManager program_name.
    12. Updated the Folder Sharing Permission for both SQL Server and Reporting Services.

2012 Reporting Service worked fine prior to 2017 update.

Any idea what I am overlooking.  I am sure it has to be something so simple.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your post, is this the second post related to the same issue from your last one ?
    Actually, if you applied all above setting and checks, it is kind complicated now. This could related to the VM settings, see similar threads here:401.2 Error Accessing Report Manager

Have you tried run the browser with different user or administrator user? Could you kindly give this a try?
    Also clear all the cache and cookies then access the reportserver with different user see if you can successfully access it.
    Regards,
    Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:30 AM
  • Thank you Lukas for the response.

There is definitely a previous thread with the same error message.  Unfortunately, that user resolved their issue.  Quoting from that post "No need to worry about this one now.  I've got the server admins to rebuild the VM from scratch and I've redeployed SSRS without any issues."  This is not an option for me at this time and need to see if I can deploy SSRS without a request to rebuild the VM.

I have had other team members, on their own machines, attempt to connect to the SSRS with the same error message.  We have also ran this in Chrome, IE (as both Admin and not) and Firefox at this time.  We have been unsuccessful at connecting to /reportserver thus far.

I am just hoping that I can find someone that experienced this issue and has options that I can try to see if I can get this working.

Thanks!

Friday, October 11, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

As I investigated a little bit further, I think your settings with SSRS are all fine and should not meet any problems.

I kind suspend the issue was caused by the web server, have you installed IIS side by side with SSRS in the host machine ? Or you have older version of SSRS(2014/2012) ,which has IIS for its web server, installed also on the machine ?

If so, I suggest you to read :Install Reporting and Internet Information Services Side-by-Side

Besides, you could try change /reports , /reportserver name to other names such as /myreports, /myrsserver to see if it could work.

Please also kindly take time into this :Error Message: HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon Failed Due to Server Configuration with No Authentication, which provides solution for this particular issue. Since I can't replicate the issue, I can't test it myself.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:13 AM
  • Good afternoon Luke,

Back to troubleshooting the SSRS install after a busy period. 

We did attempt to rename /reports and /reportserver to other names such as /myreports, /myrsserver to see if it would work.

We do have IIS installed on the VM.  We previously had 2012 SSRS installed.  We are working to remove the IIS to see if this resolves our problem.  We have several other services configured in IIS and will need to document and transition them once IIS is reinstated.

I will provide an update once we complete the IIS update.

Monday, October 28, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Good afternoon Luke,

IIS:
    We completely removed the IIS service and features but still receive the same error.

Error message 401.2.: Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration.

Firewall:
    Just completed telnet and portqry and verified that it is not a firewall issue.

Event Log:
    Reviewed the Windows Logs/Application and found the following Web Event error for ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0

Event code: 4007 
    Event message: URL authorization failed for the request. 
    Event time: 10/28/2019 12:05:08 
    Event time (UTC): 10/28/2019 19:05:08 
    Event ID: 9a14c80751b5429394fae958cfbf0395 
    Event sequence: 13 
    Event occurrence: 12 
    Event detail code: 0 

Application information: 
        Application domain: ReportServer_SSRS_0-1-132167573335193882 
        Trust level: RosettaSrv 
        Application Virtual Path: /ReportServer 
        Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\ReportServer\ 
        Machine name: XXXXXXXX

Process information: 
        Process ID: 6964 
        Process name: ReportingServicesService.exe 
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Request information: 
        Request URL: http://XXXXXXXX/ReportServer/Reserved.ReportServer 
        Request path: /ReportServer/Reserved.ReportServer 
        User host address: XXX.X.XXX.XXX 
        User: XXXXXXXX
        Is authenticated: True 
        Authentication Type: NTLM 
        Thread account name: XXXXXXXX

Monday, October 28, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Hi, 

Have you ever tried other authentications mode other than NTLM, such as RSWindowsNegotiate or RSWindowsKerberos. See if these work or not, we could know if it is really authentication issue.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:40 AM