none
OS upgrade involved SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a active passive SQL server using WFCS.  Because hardware team will upgrade the server hardware and Windows OS.  All software will be re-installed.  How can we do to keep the same setting during re-installation?  We concern the domain information of SQL server includes domain name, instance name, user names.   Thanks !

Leung

Monday, October 7, 2019 12:03 AM

All replies

• Hello Friend ,

You will need to take inventory with information such as
    instance name
    Full backup of databases
    Information about the services.
    Validate instance collation
    You must back up logins to be restored to the new instance.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi Ah_Ming,

>>We concern the domain information of SQL server includes domain name, instance name, user names.   Thanks !

1.Need to remember the sql server instance name and the installed services. These must be manually selected and filled in when reinstalling sql server.

2.Current full backup of the current databases.

3.Generate a login and password script, execute it after you reinstall sql server. Please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/918992/how-to-transfer-logins-and-passwords-between-instances-of-sql-server

4. Backup and restore SQL Agent Jobs:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/how-to-back-up-and-restore-sql-agent-jobs

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi Dedmon Dai,

I concern the domain information of the Windows.  Because OS team expect NO change in Windows cluster information.  Do you have any advice?

Ming 

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:00 PM
  • Hi Ah_Ming,

>>I concern the domain information of the Windows.  Because OS team expect NO change in Windows cluster information.  Do you have any advice?

It seems to be related to windows cluster. I suggest you open a thread on windows cluster forum:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverClustering . People there will help you well.

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Hi Dedmon Dai,

I concern the domain information of the Windows.  Because OS team expect NO change in Windows cluster information.  Do you have any advice?

Ming 

If the domain is going to remain same why should you worry about anything. Take full user and system database backup restore it after creating new SQL Server FCI. What is current WIndows OS used in cluster ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:17 AM