none
What is the syntax to provide the Server name and the SQL instance name when installing SQL Server 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 but I want provide a named instance.  The named
    instance should be "DeptServer".

The problem is that where the instance name goes there isn't enough space to
    include the server name.  For example my SQL Server name should be "SQLServer1" but
    my instance name as I stated is "DeptServer".

So when I am trying to install SQL Server I try to type: "SQLServer1\DeptServer"
    so that I know my server instance from other server instances after other instances are installed but the textbox that
    I enter the name into doesn't except that many characters.

What I am asking is how can I enter the <Server name> and the instance name when
    I install SQL Server using SQL Server 2008 R2?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you using the GUI for the install? When you are prompted for Instance configuration section you select the "Named instance" option and enter only the name you want to use for the instance such as DeptServer. When the installation completes in order to connect to that instance you need to specify SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME so in your example you would specify "SQLServer1\DeptServer" in the Server name field in the connect to server box in SQL Server Management Studio.

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful button if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:26 PM