none
DTS Packages Unspecified Error

Question

• WE have dts packages created with ftp component in Sql 2000 dts designer.  At the same time client where we are developing the package has  sql 2005 components.   When we move this package to sql 2000 production server - we can execute nor we can open the package it will give unspecified error. 

if we recreate the package on client which does not have sql 2005 component than only it works.  So for any mistake the packge once opened in sql 2000 designer also with client having sql 2005 components it does not work.   Only criteria this error happens when you have ftp component used in dts package.

Did anyone has seen this problem ?  Any fixes or patches available to be applied ?

Thanks for the help.

Manoj

Friday, October 06, 2006 4:13 PM

Answers

• I experienced the same problem.  If you are still looking for the answer, this may help.

Check the version of custtask.dll.  It is usually located in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQLServer\80\Tools\Binn\" folder.  If your DTS package containing the FTP task was created with a newer version of custtask.dll, you cannot open it again with an older version of custtask.dll.

To solve the problem, compare the versions of custtask.dll you have, replace the old one with the new one.  You don't need to register the dll.  Restart the Enterprise Manager and try again.

Hope this help!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi

Microsoft already know this problem but dont release the hotfix, you need to contact them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890841

I have the same problem and to fixe it, I recovered an old version of DTS through the server and made the modifications.

If you found a better way please contact me.

Thanks

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:11 PM
  • Thanks

Looks like this  hotfix should resolve the issue, I will touchbase with microsoft and will try to install the hotfix.

Let you know.

Manoj

Monday, October 30, 2006 1:33 AM
  • I tried after applying the hotfix - it did not work.

Manoj

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 1:04 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  Did you every get this fixed?
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:22 PM
  • DTS is provided for the backward compatibility in SQL 2005, you might need to rewrite the same in SSIS to provide the functionality.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 1:17 PM
  • I experienced the same problem.  If you are still looking for the answer, this may help.

Check the version of custtask.dll.  It is usually located in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQLServer\80\Tools\Binn\" folder.  If your DTS package containing the FTP task was created with a newer version of custtask.dll, you cannot open it again with an older version of custtask.dll.

To solve the problem, compare the versions of custtask.dll you have, replace the old one with the new one.  You don't need to register the dll.  Restart the Enterprise Manager and try again.

Hope this help!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I had the same issue. This help me solve it.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:06 PM
  • @dchuen

You saved my life, after an entire week of debugging and brainstorming!

thanks!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:36 PM
  • You are awesome!. This worked for me. Thank you VERY MUCH !!!
    Friday, May 06, 2011 8:56 AM