none
how to set a variable to last my whole session? RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with an existing reporting environment created using report builder 3.

There are two menus to access the same reports, depending on which menu the user used to access the reports, will determine the value of a parameter that is being passed in the URL and will determine the data that a user can see based on the reports query. The reports are being called using java (open.window) to enable each report to be opened in its own tab. Right now the parameter is being passed in the URL, but this is causing security concerns.

Is there a way to create a global variable that I could set in the starting menu that would hold its value for the full report user session, so I would not have to have it in the URL, but just access it from what ever report the user has selected?

or is there another way to have the information available no matter which report the user has selected without having the information in the URL?

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Chucky,

According to your description, I'm not very professional in front end developing, so I'm not able to tell if the global variable ideal could work or not.

However, for you request, I think the most easy and safe way to achieve this is to create two linked report in the report server.

We could get several benefits from this:

1. You could for different linked reports, set different default running parameter. So, if user click in the menu for one report he will see the report with default parameter. No parameter will show in the URL.

2. We could set different permission for each linked reports and origin report, this gives the admins more control of the content in the server.

Hope this could help you.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:25 AM