none
Can SQL Server 2008 (non-R2) instances by managed by a UCP?

Question

• I set up a UCP, then tried to manage a SQL Server 2008 instance (developer edition) with it. On the 2008 instance, I set up data collection and ran the two spocs to null out the MDW configuration in MSDB. On attempting to manage int instance, I received the errors "The instance of SQL Server must have utility collection sets installed." and "The Data Collector on the specified instance of SQL Server must be disabled and its collection sets must be stopped." Both of these things were done.

Is it supposed to be possible to manage a non-R2 instance? I didn't read anything to that effect in BOL and it seems like a 2008 instance would have the proper pre-reqs.

Bob Beauchemin
    SQLskills
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:12 PM

Answers

• The Utility collection sets are new in R2.  We are planning to release an update to SQL Server 2008 to enable it to be managed by a utility control point.  For CTP2, only R2 instances can be managed.

Dan Jones says: Just to be clear, we're investigating the feasibility of supporting SQL Server 2008 but right now there's nothing to announce.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• The Utility collection sets are new in R2.  We are planning to release an update to SQL Server 2008 to enable it to be managed by a utility control point.  For CTP2, only R2 instances can be managed.

Dan Jones says: Just to be clear, we're investigating the feasibility of supporting SQL Server 2008 but right now there's nothing to announce.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Ah, I see, thanks for the repsonse. I thought you were using the "vanilla" data collection sets from SQL Server 2008, my bad. Glad to hear you'll be adding the utility collection set (and code that it invokes) to SQL Server 2008 as an update.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Hi Annette,

Not to be misleading (since this was posted during CTP2 of SQL Server 2008 R2, which went RTM months ago)....

SQL Server 2008 SP2 will allow management of SQL Server 2008 servers by a UCP. A beta of SP2 is available for download and the corresponding KB article sites this particular functionality.

Cheers, Bob Beauchemin, SQLskills

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:13 PM